Possible recipe, looking for comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
I think I'll try doing this as a recipe, let me know if you think it'll be objectionable or a decent beer for a 5 gallon batch.

6.5# Marris Otter
8 oz roasted barley
10 oz chocolate malt
4 oz flaked barley

mash at 150 for 90 minutes

Sparge at 170

Boil to target volume.

Hop schedule:
1 oz Kent Goldings for 45 minutes of boil
1 oz Fuggles for last 15 minutes

It looks like a dry stout, except you need more IBU's (range is 30-45, you got around 25 there)... It's also going to have a light kick (more of a tap) at around 4% ABV...

Consider using Target hops for bittering, and keep the Fuggles for aroma/flavor. You could do a 30 minute boil with 1oz of Target hops, and hit into the IBU range for the style.

I would also use a bit more MO in it, unless you're looking for a low kick, dry stout. Personally, I want my brews to be above 4.5% ABV... But to each his own. Round it up to a full 7 pounds of MO and it starts looking better. Of course, that's without knowing your efficiency level (of your setup)... If you're lower than 75%, go for at least 8 pounds of MO (leep the other grains as they are, or go to 8oz chocolate)... Actually, 8oz Chocolate Malt, with 8 pounds of MO would give you a very solid dry stout.

Mostly looks fine. IBUs do look a bit low. Maybe 1.5 ozs Goldings for 60 minutes.

Otherwise looks OK. I would think about adding 8 ozs of Acid malt, and/or 8 ozs of rolled oats.

Took Calder's suggestion on the goldings. Also went with 7# base grain and didn't use the flaked barley. Instead I put in 8oz of 80L crystal malt. Yeast was 1084 Wyest. Missed my gravity so I boiled down to 4 gal and got 1.38 for the gravity. I'll let you all know how this turns out.

Back