Am I making an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetroTechno

Reaction score
Here is a quick recipe I thought of as I am looking for a decent yet speedy beer for my new place. I'm open to all opinions as this is basically my first made up simple recipe.

****5 Gallon Batch****

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
8.00 lb American Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lb Carafoam
1.00 oz Cascade (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade (20 min)
0.20 oz Cascade (0 min)
1.00 oz Willamette (dry hop 14days)
1 package safeale-04

seems like a regular American Pale Ale to me, IPA's have a much higher OG and higher IBU. It actually doesn't even seem like a very hoppy american pale ale either.

Beersmith says your OG is at 1.047 and your IBU is at 23, way too low for an IPA. If that was 8# of DME and you doubled your amounts for each hop addition, then that would probably be an IPA.

Wow I didn't thing the IBUs would be that low. Well an APA would be better for me because I like the idea making everything as AMERICAN as I can. What if I add another .50oz of willamette early in the boil? If I am going to make an APA I want a good hop presence but not much to scare my bmc friends. That is if I am nice enough to share. :)

add in maybe .5oz of centennial or .4oz of Columbus/Tomahawk at 60-45min, that'll give it some more kick and those work great off Cascade. Those hops are going to give you a better clean bitterness than Willamette.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone!

Maybe I should trade/mix up all the hops then... Maybe use Centennials in the boil and use the Cascades for the dry hopping. I wanted to use the Willamettes only because I have not used them before so I do not have to use them.

So this would be what I am looking at after the changes.

APA not IPA

****5 Gallon Batch****

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
8.00 lb American Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lb Carafoam
1.00 oz Centennial (60 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (20 min)
0.50 oz Cascade (20 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (0 min)
1.00 oz Cascade (dry hop 14days)
1 package safeale-04

Wow I didn't thing the IBUs would be that low. Well an APA would be better for me because I like the idea making everything as AMERICAN as I can. What if I add another .50oz of willamette early in the boil? If I am going to make an APA I want a good hop presence but not much to scare my bmc friends. That is if I am nice enough to share. :)

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php

Yeah, I definitely need to read up on styles of beer instead of winging it. Just added that to my X-Mas list. Hopefully Santa gets it for me. I am sure he will enjoy the beer and brawts I leave out for him.:D

Back