Brew day has to wait--what do I do w/starter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikrocks

Reaction score
Hey...so, I made a starter on Thursday in anticipation of brewing an Oktoberfest on Saturday. Well, I didn't have any Vienna malt (and neither did the LHBS), so I have to put off brewing until next weekend.

My question is, what do I do with my 1800 ml starter? Should I decant, store in a sterile mason jar, and whip up another starter this Thursday?

This happened to me before too, I just put the whole flask in the fridge. I decanted before I pitched it (that next weekend). Took off without any problems.

I like to pitch more yeast into my lagers than my ales (since lager yeast is a bit more sensitive). so if it were me, i would put it in the fridge, and by friday the yeast should be settled out and the starter wort should be pretty clear, so i would decant the week old starter wort, and start up the yeast again on friday with even another fresh starter wort, then you'll have lots of nice healthy yeast for your delicious Octoberfest. Lagers take so long, why not pitch more healthy yeast and speed the process up a little!

Put in the fridge and let the settle out. I am starting to do this with all of my starters. I have also started 'cold pitching' my yeast slurries as well. My lag times are drastically reduced.

Back