please help - (infection)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeharley

Reaction score
I tried making hard cider using 4 5 gallon carboys with 3 gallons of cider each. 2 with blueberries and 2 with raspberries. I did not know to use Campden tablets and they all turned to vinegar. I tried again using 2 5 gallon carboys filled completely and 1 of the 2 with raspberries. I put 5 lbs sugar in each. I checked the specific gravity after 3 weeks and it was 0.99. Tonight went to secondary carboys. The one with raspberries smells and tastes like vinegar.so I put 5 Campden tablets in it for lack of nowing anything to do. Is there any saving this? Is it shot? Am I jumping the gun, and it is too early to know if it is in fact vinegar? Thank you for any advice!

i have been using one-step. I checked and tasted both brews last night and did not notice a viniger smell or taste . Now tonight when i went to rack them into the secondary the raspberry smells and tastes vinigery. Can it turn that fast ?

i have been using one-step. I checked and tasted both brews last night and did not notice a viniger smell or taste . Now tonight when i went to rack them into the secondary the raspberry smells and tastes vinigery. Can it turn that fast ?

No, vinegar is caused by acetero bacter, and usually carried by fruitflies. Are your airlocks ok?

It usually doesn't turn fast, it's usually a slow process. But if you've had contamination, it might not have been noticeable until now. Another thing to think about- sometimes a dry cider will taste tart and not very good until it's aged. maybe it's not vinegar you taste/smell, but just the tartness?

When i first started this batch i put the cider ,suger and raspberries in the carboy and then put 5 campden tabs in . wouldent that have killed anything in the berries?

Will me putting the 5 more campden tabs in hurt anything ?

forget about the smell - what does it taste like?

in my opinion it tastes and smells kinda vinigery, but i dont now it just be so tart that it is fooling me.

i hope the other one is ok ,all i can do hope and wait.

i was wondering if it might be the cider i am using . it is fresh pressed ,unpasturized, but the guy thet doese it only uses macintosh apples. anyone now if that matters or not?

thanks joe

Let it sit...wait!!!. It seems that you,re not sure if it is vinegar or not. Let is sit for a few months and then try it. What yeast did you use? This has happened to all of us before.

good things come to those that wait!!

If not then you could cook with it and see what comes of it then, I myself would deglaze it down with some garlic, shallot and mushroom and serve it on the side of thanksgiving turkey!!!!

in my opinion it tastes and smells kinda vinigery, but i dont now it just be so tart that it is fooling me.

Yea, I would say with the volume you have going and the cost. You need to do something. The problem is what?
With wild yeast you could bomb it with camden tablets, stabilize for 24-48 hours. Air-rate again and re-pitch yeast. You might end up with some bitter cider.
If it is really turning into vinegar, the only simple answer is to heat it up, and then re-pitch the yeast. I don't know sure fire chemical answer. (sorry, I don't get infections)

Back