Stalled fermentation - looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_positron

Reaction score
I brewed up an eggnog stout using Wyeast 1056 about 4 weeks ago. The OG was 1.086.

The issue is that I have a fermentation fridge/box that I set to 68F (controlled with an STC-1000). HOWEVER, I forgot to break the tab on the outlets meaning that the heating and cooling are both at 120V whenever it's either too hot or too cold in the fridge. About a week after I brewed it got really cold outside and my basement got cold enough to cool the beer down and the STC-1000 tried to turn on the heater. This resulted in the cooling being turned back on due to the outlet box tab. It ended up driving the beer down to 55F for about 24hrs.

By the time I realized it, fermentation had completely stopped (at 1.030, was hoping for 1.020).

In an effort to get it started again, I let it warm back up 68F and rocked it around a little bit to kick some yeast up. A little bubbling took place, but a week later, it was still at 1.030 (measured with hydrometer).

I have two thoughts on how to do get it going again:

1. Transfer onto the yeast cake of a recently brewed (still in fermenter) batch (1.101 OG stone 15th anniversary clone brewed with WLP001 California Ale). The problem I see here is twofold. First, the stone clone has a lot of hops and I'm worried about flavors carrying over into the eggnog stout. Second, I'm not sure how great the WLP001 will be after cranking out such a big beer (though I made a 1.25 gallon starter for a 5.5 gallon batch).

2. The other option is to transfer the eggnog stout to another bucket, then do another starter on the yeast cake and repitch the hopefully reinvigorated yeast.

Any thoughts on which of the two (or some other option) would be better?

I think the pitching onto WLP001 is preferred since the risk of infection is much lower, but I'm kind of worried about the flavor mixing.
Thanks for any help!

If possible I would get another packet of 1056 or vial of WLP001, same yeast, and pitch on top of what you've got already. In regards to risk of infection I think this would be less risky than transferring to another fermenter plus less risk of oxidizing it during tranfer. Let it finish and go from there. Seeing as how the majority of the primary fermentation has taken place a vial or packet should be able to finish up without even making a starter. Just a thought. Good Luck with the holiday brew.

Back