Mr. Beer Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Well i was talking to my dad about getting a carboy and what he thought about it, you know with other options like better bottles and plastic buckets. It's kind of a hard decision to make.

I saw a pretty good deal on craigslist for 15 bucks for two 6.5 gallon ones. But the guy hasn't gotten back to me so i'm not to hopeful. Anyway he sent this back and i think the question has a lot of merit.

I am thinking about buying a 2 gal carboy to use to filter my beer before bottling. Unfortunately, if I remember right you aren’t supposed to do that because it like gets air in the beer or something with is bad for some reasons (I think it ruins carbonation and can make the beer go bad).

I've heard of something called "purging" or something? where you use co2 right? I'm not 100% on this anyone know if it's possible? it'd make bottling easier if we had a small bottling bucket, priming sugar and all.

Purging is simply filling the carboy or other container with CO2. Since CO2 is heavier than "air", it occupies whatever space is open in the container. It will hang around much longer than "air" and will pump any other lighter gases out as you fill the container leaving only CO2 to fill the voids. That prevents "air" from getting in and oxidizing your beer.

However the quantities to use is not a matter I know

How do you go about filling the container with CO2?

And what are peoples thoughts on getting a small bottling bucket for a Mr. Beer?

The best bottling bucket for Mr. Beer is ... another Mr. Beer. ;)

You can also find El Cheapo plastic ice tea containers at Wally World or Target, which would probably do the trick for ya! (Cool your boiled sugar before you put it in a cheapo container.)

Two ways to fill a container with CO2: if you have a gas bottle, then you probably already know how. If you don't have a CO2 bottle, then the easiest way is a few grams of dry ice. How much dry ice? 44 grams ~ 22L of volume.

Don't seal an airtight container with dry ice inside of it -- people have lost fingers and eyes doing that crap. :(

Back