Spiedies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashz

Reaction score
First I would like to see how many people even know what they are. Secondly if you do, do you have a recipe? I have a bunch of family from finger lakes coming down to PA this week and I just got done putting together about 5lbs of chicken and Spiedie marinade.

This is only the second time I have made them from scratch, no bottled marinade. The first time was a huge hit and I made about 10lbs of chicken and 5lbs pork. The first recipe was awesome but I couldn't locate my recipe so I had to piece together a recipe from memory and some others I found online.

So let's hear some recipes or even experiences with Spiedies!

I have a couple recipes in a cook book from a volunteer firehouse fundraiser in upstate NY. I've never made them but my ex-MIL used to make them when I visited. I'll see if I can dig up the book. I think the ones I ate were made of venison.

"Spiedies" - thats an Americanized Italian word for Spiedo, as in "Allo spiedo", or 'off the spit'. So it's skewered meats and/or veggies, cooked on a grill, and usually served on hot dog buns (making it very Americanized). Thats my Kentucky answer.

I always thought spiedies would catch on outside of New York. Lots of versatility, easy prep, outdoor grilling. Seems like a nice departure from hamburgers and brats.

Yep that's the origin of the word. Traditional Spiedies don't have any veggies at all. Originally lamb, over the years it's become pretty standard to use lamb, pork, chicken, beef, venison, I have even had fish.

On a skewer, and on french bread, or some other crusty bread. That's it. No sauce, no other condiments, just the meat marinaded grilled and on bread.

Delicious. If you really look into it's spread around the us it was actually spread via people who worked at IBM being relocated and bringing them with them. I actually ran across a distribution map somewhere. Kind of interesting.

I actually expected a few more responses but it's not surpising that not too many people know of them. If anyone's interested I can give them my recipe. Very simple recipe to prepare and very easy to grill.

Ex-MIL's marinade
1/2 c salad oil
1/2 c vinegar
4 cloves garlic
onion
3 stalks celery
2/3 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp oregano
salt & pepper to taste
sprig of spearmint
Marinate at least 3 hours.

Other from Owego, NY