Add Campden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accroul

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle a cider this weekend and it suddenly dawned on me that maybe I should add a Campden tablet before I bottle.
Am I supposed to?/Is it recommended?

Depends on if you are planning on carbonating or not. I never have but it certainly won't hurt unless you plan to carbonate, then don't add it.

Campden won't kill yeast, it should still carbonate okay unless the yeast is really weak. It is good for preventing oxidation, so if you are planning on aging your cider for any length of time, it will help keep the cider good.

Hmmm, yes, I will be aging - I don't plan on drinking until christmas and it will be carbonated - looks like I'll toss a Campden in.

Won't hurt anything either way. It will still be fine at Christmas one way or the other. Now if you weren't going to drink it until Christmas 2010, you're better off adding the campden.

Back