Keg Catastrophe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
I had a 10 gallon batch split into 2 kegs to experiment. One went into the fridge and force carbonated, the other I put 15 psi into and added sugar, so that I could test out keg conditioning.

Checked the pressure this morning, and it had none. I guess the seal didn't take....

So it turns out I've had 5 gallons of pumpkin spice sitting in a keg for 2 weeks with oxygen getting in. I replaced the O ring and resealed it this morning, but I'm sure that all of the C02 from the sugar is gone and the sugar is already eaten...

I haven't tasted it yet, but do you think I'll have any oxidation? Also, I'm assuming I can just force carb this stuff like normal, right?

Well, I'd be hopeful that the generated CO2 forced out the oxygen and that it's just been sitting, uncarbonated, with a protective layer of CO2. As long as it really hasn't been disturbed much, I would think you'll be just fine.

I agree with Jawbox. How would oxygen get in if co2 is being pushed out?

The oxygen isn't pushing itself in, if the yeast ate any of the sugar, they will produce co2 that will cover the beer and keep the o2 out. Kinda like an airlock.

It's a common misconception that a layer of CO2 will act as an O2 barrier. It's true that you can purge other gases out of a container by flowing CO2 in, but as the gases come to rest, O2 will try to seek equilibrium inside again if there's an opening/leak.

Back