Imperial Porter recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Well, i have a few batches yet to brew this winter that i would like to try (my own hefeweizen recipe, AHS old ale, and AHS special holiday ale) but i have also gotten a craving for the flying dog Imperial Porter. I had a chance to try this gem a few months ago when i went on a tour of the flying dog brewery for my bday (now that they are like 10 minutes from where i grew up and i'm finally stationed in the area). You can't beat $5 for a brewery tour, free glass, and open bar! Anyways, i really liked this beer as it was a nice porter with a very generous hoppiness to it. Just interesting and something i hadn't tried before. Was looking on flying dog's website and they said it's made with Crystal 120L, Chocolate malt, and Black patent and hopped with Warrior, Northern Brewer, and Cascade hops (supposedly VERY dry hopped with Cascades). Anyways, i was looking to see if anyone had a good AG recipe for this as i am pretty interested in making it. Thanks in advance!

The recipe is in Hop Lovers spacial isssue of BYO. Should go to BYO and get this issue if you like hops. Here is their Gonzo Porter

15# 2 row
2.5# Crystal 120L
1# Black Malt
.5# Chocolate Malt

.34oz 90 min Warrior
1oz Northern Brewer 60 min
1oz Northern Brewer 30min
3oz Cascade 0 min
4oz Cascade Dry Hop

Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001 3qt starter

.75 cups priming sugar

Mash @ 152 Lauter slowly for maximum sugar collection