racking to secondary and kreusen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hercules Rockefeller

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I need some help. I was just about to rack to secondary today, but when I popped the top off of my primary bucket there was still a thick Kreusen on the top of the beer? there has been very little airlock activity after a steady 3 days. it has been in primary for 6 days so far. I needed to rack it becuase I'm going to use the yeast cake to pitch in the beer I am brewing right now, and also becuase I want to use the bucket for the primary. so is it safe to rack it or do I need to wait for the kreusen to fall. if it is ok, what should I do with the Kruesen, should I usea sanitized spoon to discard it before racking?

I had a similar situation krausen was pretty much fallen and no airlock activity, but when I transferred to my secondary I began to see air-lock activity, DOH! After carefully reviewing everything I belive that my issues were caused by an ambient temp. drop from 70 to 64, but I am NO expert. Some one else should chime in any minute. Good Luck.

Go ahead and rack. Clearing the krausen can't hurt, but I wouldn't worry. Worst case, you might have some trub to avoid when you rack to the priming bucket. Sometimes the secondary ferment IS a secondary, not just a clearing time.

What are you pitching on the cake? Another stout?

I have a similar issue right now too.. the Wit beer I brewed a week abo still has a thick krausen on top and its been a week.. but I also heard the wit yeast tends to ferment longer... so I'm going to give it a few more days before I rack into the secondary...

Jester

Latest posts

Back