Ranco/Love for RIMS or PID?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
I did some searches but didn't find a "good answer." If I was building a RIMS system (heater element in a SS tube, basically) should I use a Ranco/LOve which is just an on/off controller or should I go ahead and use a PID? I use a PID for my HLT and BK, so I'm familiar with them, but wasn't sure if that type of control is needed for a HERMS. Also, the combination of a PID, SSR, and thermocoupler is more expensive than just wiring up a Ranco/Love by almost double ($100 vs 50 or so).

Thoughts?

Just my .02 is to go with the LOVE or Ranco. I do not see a need for a PID with a RIMS or a HERMS. I have a HERMS and use a LOVE and it works great. If memory serves me right hte LOVE can switch 15A so depending on what element you get you may not need a SSR.

Mike

Use a PID. A good PID will "learn" the parameters of your system. You will get finer control and won't over-shoot your temps. A ranco/love controller will work, but you will get massive fluctuations in temperatures. A PID will turn on/off many times a minute making sure your desired temp is maintained.

Edit: changed 'second' to 'minute'

A PID will turn on/off many times a second making sure your desired temp is maintained.

Yea, I have 2 PID's, but they switch on/off maybe for a second at a time. Many times a second is not as useful with an element because it has a slight "lag" from when you apply power and it produces heat. I guess my Pid just learned that though :)

I'm undecided, because $50 is $50. A Ranco/Love is alot simpler, bcs I will only be handling about 1000 watts. An ranco Comes in it's own "project box" as well - I use a 2-stage one in my fermentation chamber. But I don't want to wish 6 months from now that I had just spent the extra $50...

Yea, I have 2 PID's, but they switch on/off maybe for a second at a time. Many times a second is not as useful with an element because it has a slight "lag" from when you apply power and it produces heat. I guess my Pid just learned that though :)

I'm undecided, because $50 is $50. A Ranco/Love is alot simpler, bcs I will only be handling about 1000 watts. An ranco Comes in it's own "project box" as well - I use a 2-stage one in my fermentation chamber. But I don't want to wish 6 months from now that I had just spent the extra $50...

Yeah, I meant a minute. Thanks for catching that.

Back