Pittsburgh/Western PA Group By #9+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, you know someone is going to ask what a TLA is. :D

Yep ;)

If anyone else wants to pick up .25 of the 'BD-MUNH Munich', I'll take .25 to close out that split.

Im looking forward to the new Country Wines location. The current location is convenient but its small and its impossible to pull out of the parking north onto Babcock.

Ditto on the new location - we're about halfway from both, so it'll be good to see what they do. Hopefully it'll buffer them in case more beer comes in

Damn. Not sure how I missed this round of the buy. Is the any room left for a few sacks?

Register and I'll add you

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Im sure some of you will be at Tangled Up In Brew tonight. It'd be great to meet some other brewers, as I've only been doing this for 6 months. I'll be wearing a bright blue puffy jacket if anyone wants to say hello.

Hey Kyle. I did click on the link and fill out the form but have not received a response. I shot you an email today as well. Thanks.

Sorry for sloppy post - my plane is boarding

here are the splits -
Five Star Chemicals PBW Cleaner -0.9
Best Malz Munich Malt - Bulk -0.75
Great Western Malting Crystal 15 Malt - Bulk -0.75
OiO/Gilbertson & Page Pre-Gelatinized Flaked Oats - Bulk -0.75
BRIESS MALTING VICTORY MALT - Bulk -0.75
Breiss GoldPils Vienna - Bulk -0.75
Breiss Carapils Malt - Bulk -0.5
GP-Rice Rice Hulls - Bulk -0.5
TF&S Optic Pale Ale Malt - Bulk -0.5
TF&S Pearl Pale Ale Malt - Bulk -0.5
2-Row Caramel Malt 60L - Bulk -0.5
Fawcett Flaked Barley - Bulk -0.5
TF-PCHO Pale Chocolate Malt - Bulk -0.5
Fawcett Lager Malt - Bulk -0.5
Breiss 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - Bulk -0.25
BD-MUNH Munich - Bulk -0.25
BZ-ACID Best Malz Acidulated Malt - Bulk -0.25
Flaked Rye - Bulk -0.25

Hey Kyle. I did click on the link and fill out the form but have not received a response. I shot you an email today as well. Thanks.

You should have access now

So where are we with the buy? Still working on filling the 3rd pallet?

We have 17 splits still open - If we can get all of those to 50%+ I'll start the closing process.

I still think some of the 2x quantity splits are a bit goofed up.

I have 2x of the BM Munich malt splits, for example.

I am hoping there is still some space in this buy I would like a few bags and 1G of starsan. I followed the instructions to the google link and asked for permission. I would like to stock up in case country wines is closed for a while while they move and start brewing for the holidays.

It seems like some folks didn't get the cancel email. It appears that shopify (the company hosting the website) charges a transaction fee for all purchases that don't use their payment gateway. Talk about small print. I didn't catch it until I got an unexpected $100 bill.

After an hour with customer service, I determined that the only way to get the transaction fees waived was to cancel all the orders and re-do them. That credits back the fee. So I enabled the credit card checkout feature (same rates as paypal), and updated the "use this for groupbuy" option to say check/money order. It's a huge pain in the butt, but the problem appears to be solved.

On a related note, when you put in your orders again, use the following rule of thumb. If you get 2 of the same item on a search (we use multiple suppliers), go with the one that has the malthouse in the name (e.g. Briess 2-row Caramel malt instead of 2-row caramel malt). This way we shouldn't have to combine splits.

At the end of this i'll be reaching out to everyone for feedback. As painful as it is, the super-spreadsheet on google docs may be the better way to go. We'll see if the fixes I've put in work, or if a traditional website is just a bad fit. One of these days i'll do the same thing 2 buys in a row ;).

I am hoping there is still some space in this buy I would like a few bags and 1G of starsan. I followed the instructions to the google link and asked for permission. I would like to stock up in case country wines is closed for a while while they move and start brewing for the holidays.

I'll get you taken care of tomorrow morning. It may take a few hours (have meetings starting around 7) but I'll definitely get it done.

I updated the reports based on who punched in. I didn't indicate pallet (takes too long), but as of now we're going for 3 so it shouldn't be an issue.

I've also included SKU numbers on the report so people know what splits to select.

We're at 1 pallet and 26 sacks for the new order.

I'm waiting on confirmation from a couple friends but will be adding about 6 bags soon

Do we also have an idea of when the next group buy will take place? My current order will prob only last me about 10 weeks.

My plan is to have people just put in orders and we'll order as the pallets close ... assuming the website issues are resolved. Otherwise it will be quarterly.

FYI - I sent emails/PMs to the 5 folks who hadn't replaced their orders. If you still want to pull the trigger, put your order on the site.

Hey guys. How do I place my order? Do I need to add it to the googledocs sheet or do I just place the order on the separate website? Do I pay for it now even though the order on the 3rd pallet may not be placed for a while? I tried to add my name and order to the googledocs sheet as I had done on past group buys but was unable to do it this time.

Thanks for your help.

Order directly through the website. Shoot me a note re: what you're ordering. The 3rd pallet is pretty tight, because I ordered most if the open splits.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I signed up tonight, hoping maybe I can get in on the group buy! I participated in one a couple years back. If there is room on the 3rd pallet I will take a look at getting some 2-row at least... Thanks, bmickey

Hi Kyle: Do you have a time frame when you expect to close this order? I thought the intent was to make it a rolling order - ie get two full pallets, order, and put remaining bags on a order to be placed in the future. Just checking the timing, because I continue to brew and buy bulk bags from the local homebrew stores. knowing your timing will help me determine if I should pick up a few more bags locally. Is there anything I may do to assist you? One of the other reasons I am asking is because I will be leaving on an extended trip out of the country, and would need to arrange with friends to pick up the grains if delivered then.

Shooting for 11/1 pickup. I may have it earlier, but the previous weekend is the SWMBO's bday.

I can schedule an alt date for anyone who can't make it.

Is there anybody else that can be at the pickup location if the shipment comes earlier or do you specifically have to be there? I certainly don't want to tread on the birthday happenings but I'm off the weekend of the 1st and I'd like to get some brewing started early rather than have to drive to Pittsburgh first to get my ingredients. I don't get many non holiday weekends off so I like to take advantage of them when I can.

Is there anybody else that can be at the pickup location if the shipment comes earlier or do you specifically have to be there? I certainly don't want to tread on the birthday happenings but I'm off the weekend of the 1st and I'd like to get some brewing started early rather than have to drive to Pittsburgh first to get my ingredients. I don't get many non holiday weekends off so I like to take advantage of them when I can.

Once the stuff is in, I can set up time with you to do an alt pickup. As of now the order is processing, so it depends on when the stuff arrives. I don't have to be there for it to arrive, but I do have to inventory all the items in the shipment before people can get it. I also need to be there (or give someone the keys) so you can get in.

Majority of the splits are broken down and we're ready for next Saturday 11/1. Earlier is better, but i'll be there until 12. If you didn't get the pick-up email please let me know. I'll PM you and resend to those of you who didn't get notified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive heard people raise issues with fermenting in them. There was a long thread about it year or so ago on this site.

I use them for grain storage and havent started foaming at the mouth yet.

Latest posts

Back