Lessons learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nurmey

I love making Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't really a drunken rambling but it is a funny story from my weekend adventures with our good friend, hubby, and me. Hope you enjoy it.

As part of a well rounded philosophy of life, I believe that it is important to never close out a day without learning a lesson. Today I was fortunate enough to have learned several, which I share with you now, in no particular order. For those who were unaware, Troy, April and I made some homemade Root Beer on Saturday.
  • Root Beer is sticky.
  • Before attempting to serve homemade Root Beer, it is important to have well constructed tapping gear.
  • 30 feet of hose connected to the tapper still produces pure foam at 40 PSI.
  • If you think the connection is tight enough, it isn’t.
  • 40 PSI is a lot.
  • The spectacle of a beer volcano (a good story in its own right) pales before the sheer awesome power of a Root Beer detonation.
  • My kitchen has many nooks and crannies where sticky stuff can drip.
  • My kitchen will forevermore smell of Root Beer.
  • The CSI shows are right. If a person’s body is in front of an explosion, you really can find a “blast shadow” where the body absorbed the impact, thus protecting things in the “shadow.”
  • Root Beer is cold.
  • 40 PSI, applied to a 5 gallon keg, is sufficient pressure to accelerate Root Beer to transonic speeds.
  • My butt will block a Root Beer detonation quite well.
  • Root Beer hurts.
  • Root Beer is sticky.
  • Root Beer is not recommended as a body wash.
  • Electronic items and Root Beer Bombs do not mix.
  • When cleaning Root Beer, do not stand in one place too long.
  • Root Beer dries FAST.
  • Root Beer, when dried, can be used as a virtually indestructible cement.
  • Aerospace firms should investigate the sticky power of Root Beer for purposes of bonding composite parts of high-performance aircraft.
  • Root Beer adheres to socks just as well as to shoes.
  • Do not plan on getting anything else done on a day when you have a Root Beer Bomb.
  • My refrigerator needed new art work anyway.
  • If you are going to have a Root Beer explosion you will be very lucky if, by pure chance, you are standing next to the keg when it happens.
  • If, by chance, you are not standing next to it, the Root Beer will KEEP exploding until the CO2 runs out.
  • The CO2 will NOT run out if the pressure canister is still attached to the keg.
  • 40 PSI is a lot.
  • Once you have done the dishes and they are dry, put them away immediately. That way you won’t have to wash them again should a Root Beer Bomb detonate in your kitchen.
  • Burning Root Beer does not smell as good as you might think or hope.
  • It is impossible to get ALL the Root Beer off of electric burners.
  • Burning Root Beer generates smoke.
  • I’m not even sure I like Root Beer.

Latest posts

Back