Wort boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguin69

Reaction score
So in the direction for my Brewers Best kit it says to boil 3 gallons of water for the wort. My question is since I have a 30 quart pot can I boil more water for the wort so that I have less water to add at the end before fermenting?

So in the direction for my Brewers Best kit it says to boil 3 gallons of water for the wort. My question is since I have a 30 quart pot can I boil more water for the wort so that I have less water to add at the end before fermenting?

Yes, absolutely! Boil as much as you can, and the beer will be better for it.

Keep in mind that you need a decent burner (some stoves can't boil more than about 3 gallons) as well as a way to chill more wort. An ice bath still should work great, but it takes longer to chill 4 gallons of wort than 2.5 gallons!

Seems like it. I think most of the recipes assume that one would not have a large enough kettle allowing for potential boli overs.

However, I follow that measurement and stick the rest of the water in the freezer while brewing. After the wort chiller I transfer to the bottling bucket or carboy and add the rest of the chilled water. That drops the temp significantly without much fuss and usually is perfect for pitching the yeast.

Thanks. I have a propane burner to boil with. Should be fine to boil more water. Forgot about the extra time needed to cool. I guess I will experiment and what works best.

Back