Red wine stored in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappers

Reaction score
Is there any reason I can't store my red wine from a syrup based mix in one of my unused king kegs? I'm going to drink through it at such a reasonable pace I'm thinking why bottle them up.

You would need a tank of argon and/or nitrogen gas to dispense it, unless you don't mind sparkling red wine.

You would need a tank of argon and/or nitrogen gas to dispense it, unless you don't mind sparkling red wine.

Yep. Or you could leave the gas unhooked while not in use. Then turn it on at a low pressure (~5 psi?) when serving, and then when you are done make sure the keg is purged and free of pressure. Sounds like a PITA to me.

FWIW I frequently bulk age all my Italian reds in kegs. The above procedure makes for very quick and easy taste testing but I wouldnt want to do it for an entire keg.

I have c02 gas canisters I use to dispense my beers , the large ones not the small one time chargers, and I won't prime the wine just when I need to dispense. Which like my long serving ciders will end up flat 10 seconds initial burst. I suppose! Fizzy red wine! Is that sangria but full on.

Back