Is there any point?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin2D

Reaction score
Came across this cute little keg and was wondering if there was any point in fermenting a lambic in something like this? Can't have a huge barrel as it's only myself, but would this serve a purpose for a one man lambic operation?

keg.jpg

It's a metal keg, so I don't see what benefit it would provide over doing it in a glass carboy. The whole barrel thing is used because of the oak---it imparts a flavor and allows a slow transmission of oxygen.

I suppose the only point would be that since it is larger that I could take some out in a year and continue the aging.

What that looks like is a Hoff-Stevens keg (7.75 or 15.5 gallon). You can find the fitting for the top of the keg of the keg at your neighborhood HB shop. You could take samples by hand pump (oxygen) or CO2. I have found the bungs (plastic) at Welcome To The Grape and Granary (not sure if that's the proper web address). It would be a fun experiment. You wouldn't have to worry about light. If you wanted to take a sample it would draw from the bottom of the keg and not disturb the pellicle. Though you wouldn't be able to see if the pellicle had dropped or not.

Have Fun
Why Not

Back