I want to get into kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoyScout

Reaction score
Hey There,

These are listed in my area for sale.

Stainless Steel 30L used Keg

Two questions:

1) Would these be good for homebrewing?
2) They aren't corny kegs, so how would I go about using them?

oh wait, three questions,

3) Should I bother with them at all or wait until I can get corny kegs?

Those look like 1/6 talls with standard Sanke connectors. That means they are both taller and wider than a cornie. Cleaning this type of keg is difficult without the correct equipment.

It might make a good keggle.

Like David42 said sanke kegs are a bit hard to clean. But it will hold more beer.

But if you are setup to do 5 gallon batches right now it will probably be easier to just go with 5 gallon cornies. That is what ended the debate for me.

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll wait to get some cornys.
I have a friend that works for Coke, he's checking into seeing if he can get me some.

The kegs are typically cheap. The regulator and CO2 tank is usually where the bulk of the money goes. There are some good internet deals. Search around the forum and you can find some links to cheap starter kits.

Yea, that looks like a sixtel.. It's about 9 1/4X23 1/2, and the sanke connection makes it hard to clean/fill without removing the spear and soaking in oxy clean or something of that nature. They only hold ~5 gallons as well. I like getting my kegs from Adventures in Home Brewing; clean'em and replace the orings with bulk ones from McMaster-Carr (Part #s are 9452K218, 9452K23, and 9452K172). Check out midwest, northern brewer, austin homebrew, keg connection, etc for starter kits. Hope this helps! You won't regret it!

Another suggestion to get cornies. I started out using cornies converted to sanke tops. Now much happier with regular corny posts.

Must be "slim quarter." Sixtels are only 20L.
Kegs-new.jpg

Back