RO water and kmeta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimixdiver1

Reaction score
Would it hurt to use kmeta in RO? Just in case the carbon isnt getting all the chloramine? It should be driven off by the recirc on my HLT right? If not the boil?

Thanks

If you have chlorine/chloramine breakthrough in your RO system you need to attend to the carbon filter in the RO system as either of these will damage the membrane. Check the water coming from the carbon filter for chlorine/chloramine using the procedures described in the sticky here. If you are going to inject Na2S2O5 anywhere it would be before the RO membrane.

If you have chlorine/chloramine breakthrough in your RO system you need to attend to the carbon filter in the RO system as either of these will damage the membrane. Check the water coming from the carbon filter for chlorine/chloramine using the procedures described in the sticky here. If you are going to inject Na2S2O5 anywhere it would be before the RO membrane.

I have a new system with 2 carbon blocks and a particulate filter then a taste disposable carbon filter after the membranes. So I'm just being paranoid.

There are at least some water utilities in Pittsburgh that do use chloramines. Two carbon blocks is a good idea. Its a good idea to use at least one block that is made specifically for chloramines. With city water, I'd probably go with a 1 micron sediment filter, Chloraguard Block, 0.5 micron block, and then on to the membrane. Realize that your RO water is likely to have some ammonia in it.

Russ

If you have chlorine/chloramine breakthrough in your RO system you need to attend to the carbon filter in the RO system as either of these will damage the membrane.

Filmtec indicates a chlorine tolerance for 1 ppm of chlorine of 200 to 1000 hours. Chloramine tolerance is very high - over 300,000 ppm hours. But free chlorine is likely also present if your have tap water with chloramine.

Russ

Realize that your RO water is likely to have some ammonia in it.
Also realize that this is a good thing as at brewing pH the ammonia will all be in the form of ammonium ion which is a nitrogen source for yeast. Most of the yeast nutrients you buy at the LHBS contain some diammonium phosphate (DAP) and or urea which splits into ammonia and CO2 upon contact with water (and at brewing pH those ammonia molecules take on a proton to become ammonium ions).

Back