First Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayoungrad

Reaction score
I am very meticulous when I brew. I clean everything. I sanitize everything.

And before today I never had an infection...

Luckily it was only a single bottle.

It was a bottle from a hefe that I brewed in April and bottled in May. It has been tasting great.

But I just opened a 22 oz bottle and 90% of it gushed out of the bottle immediately after opening it. In retrospect the bottle was a little more opaque (even for a hefe) than the other bottles. And there was an evident vinegar aroma of the beer (all over the counter - sorry no pic).

When I dumped the bottle, there was a thin film of brownish condensed sediment that came out - nothing like normal and nothing like the other bottles from that batch.

I just now opened another from the same batch that I had in the frig - no gushing and it looks and tastes perfect.

So for those who think gushers are never an infection (I have seen idea this posted by members previously), think again. But I will say, this was like no gushing that I have ever seen...

There's a bit of difference between "overcarbed" and "gusher". Every gusher I've seen has been infected. That said, I made bottle bombs when I started brewing, and those were just overcarbed. The difference is about half a bottle of beer, and where it ends up. I saw a gusher (in a comp) nearly hit the low ceiling.

Back