6 gallons..what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevy_Tech

Reaction score
After This weekends backpacking trip,i stopped by the orchard on the way home and picked 6 gallons of fresh pressed cider.It says "flash pasteurized"on the container,not knowing what that was,i bought campden to be safe.I have made apfelwein and enjoy it but after having JK Scrumpys cider,im convinced its far superior to apfelwein and want to make something similar.The fresh
pressed comes in at 1.050,what should my additions be (sugar?Brown sugar?) be to achieve that style.Target FG?

Flash past* means they heated it up to 170 for a short amount of time (a minute or so) and then cooled. Georgia orchards can't legally sell unpast* cider because of the health nazis in the ag department. You can get it in SC though... and by "it" I mean raw fresh press...

On gravity, just know that cider will ferment down to 1.000, so 1.050 SG isn't necessarily low, it will get you up to about 6.5% if I remember correctly.

No campden required for flash past*

Flash Past* is what they sell at Earth Fare in their no-additive cider. Don't bother with the cambden.

Where did you backpack? I spend most of my time around the Chattooga. Did you eat any rainbow trout sashimi?

thanks for the help fletch!
Backpacked around The cohutta wilderness,it was an eye opening experience.That is true backcountry out there

JK's Scrumpy -- no additions to the cider. It's pretty cloudy and sweet.

Either ferment it until the gravity is around 1.004(taste for sweetness) and then carb & pasteurize, or ferment it all the way out(should end around .996ish) and then add fresh cider to sweeten, carb, and pasteurize.

planning to bottle it and i like the idea of fresh cider being added,anyone come up
with the appropriate amounts to add?

planning to bottle it and i like the idea of fresh cider being added,anyone come up
with the appropriate amounts to add?

I dunno, mine had an OG of 1.057(only raw UV pasteurized fresh pressed apple cider) and just fermented dry at 0.997 and I'm going to sweeten it up next weekend once I have a chance to get out to the cider mill again. Around 1.004 it tasted perfect -- great mix of dry/sweet, just like JK's Scrumpy. It's way too dry for my tastes now at 0.997 so I'm planning on adding fresh cider to sweeten.

Back