Sweetening Hard Cider before drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
Guys,

I made a hard cider and have started drinking it however the girlfriend and a few others have said they would like it a little sweeter. BTW it turned out right dry at about 0.996 FG. I love it dry however would like to sweeten some of it. I was wondering if I could just add a simple syrup to a glass with ice then fill with the cider right before serving. BTW simple syrup would be some regular table sugar disolved in boiling water then brought back to room temp. Alot of bartenders use it to sweeten mixed drinks. Just wanted to know if you guys have tried it for this? I know I could have controled the sweetness during fermentation however its to late and need a way to do it right before serving.

DS

You can do that, or mix it with sprite, or fruit juice concentrate, or fruit juice, or splenda, or dr. pepper, or coke, but don't you effing dare mix it with pepsi!!!

(ok you can mix it with pepsi too)

I'd mix it with plain apple juice. Sweeten that puppy right up, and add a bit more apple-y goodness!

+1 to sprite
+2 to apple juice (especially martinelli's (sp) sparkling cider)

and simple syrup works fine. I tried some splenda in my apfelwein the other day and wasn't a big fan

I buy pear juice, form the baby isle at walmart, and add about a 4 to 1 ratio of cider to juice, if some one wants it a little sweet.

I have been using simple syrup and it works like a champ. I had tried just adding sugar, but that sucked as it was a pain to get it all to dissolve. I made a very concentrated syrup and now I just add a teaspoon or so per glass and it is perfect. Very easy.

Back