Wasp in my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckthebutcher

Reaction score
I found a wasp in my cooling wort when it was around 85 degrees. I scooped him out with a sanitized spoon as soon as I noticed. Am I screwed? Will it get infected?

You should be ok...don't freak out! Put the wort into the fermentor once it's gets to temp and pitch yeast as normal!

Thanks for the reassurance I'm hoping that if it did have any bacteria on it the hops and yeast will push it out during fermentation

Should be fine, the thing about infections is which bacteria gets a foothold. most home brews are "infected" to some degree, but the yeast (which is bacteria) wins the fight for food and kills off the invaders with alcohol.

Remember you are pitching billions of cells, there are likely hundreds or thousands of cells of other **** growing in there, they just get overwhelmed by your yeast colony.

Should be fine, the thing about infections is which bacteria gets a foothold. most home brews are "infected" to some degree, but the yeast (which is bacteria) wins the fight for food and kills off the invaders with alcohol.

Remember you are pitching billions of cells, there are likely hundreds or thousands of cells of other **** growing in there, they just get overwhelmed by your yeast colony.

Yeah... Yeast isn't a bacteria... at all.

I just brewed a lager a week ago and a wasp got in my first runnings, I almost threw it out. Glad I didn't overreact.

I found a house fly in my Oktoberfest half way through fermentation. I had a moment of panic and then thought "F@*k it, there's nothing I can do now". When I tested gravity and tasted it, seemed fine! No infection.

Now I have a great name for it: "Stubenfliege Oktoberfest"! Stubenfliege being house fly in German.

Can't wait for people to taste it and ask how I got the name!

It is a fungus, bacteria, same same they are both single cell organisms that thrive in sugar water (Wort)

They are similar from a macro perspective but very, very different when you start examining them more closely. Every time you say yeast and bacteria are the same thing a microbiologist loses his slant, JFYI.

:mug:

They are similar from a macro perspective but very, very different when you start examining them more closely. Every time you say yeast and bacteria are the same thing a microbiologist loses his slant, JFYI.

:mug:

Lol!

I brewed a saison a couple weeks ago and during the boil noticed a wasp had met his maker trying to get at the wort. I think I fished out most of the pieces, but a few might've been left behind. Watch, it'll be the greatest saison I've ever made and I'll be forced to throw a wasp or two into every batch from now on just in cSe that was the secret ingredient.

It is that time of year for those bastards...flowers are dying off so they're searching elsewhere for food. Sweet, sugary wort has gotta be pretty tempting.

It is a fungus, bacteria, same same they are both single cell organisms that thrive in sugar water (Wort)

Tremendous.

Hall of Fame worthy nonsense.

By the same logic for beer's other three main ingredients

Barley=Bamboo (Both members of the grass family)

Water=Hydrogen peroxide (Both liquids with near identical molecular structure)

Hops = Tulips (Both flowers)

@chuckthebutcher I think you'll be fine. The wasp likely got in at some stage during hotter proceedings, and was well and truly denuded of any nasties. (Was it alive or dead) That could tell you when it may have been added to the recipe.

Either way. I would have done exactly the same. Scoop it out, move on. Tasty beer is highly likely.

Oooh! Malted Bamboo! :mug:
I'm going to order some!

Dry Tuliped beer, sounds like a winner.

(sparrows and mice are small, they too are probably related) :D

All kidding aside, I may be wrong, but I though the of the Eucaryotes, Fungus was the most closely related to animals.

Tremendous.

Hall of Fame worthy nonsense.

By the same logic for beer's other three main ingredients

Barley=Bamboo (Both members of the grass family)

Water=Hydrogen peroxide (Both liquids with near identical molecular structure)

Hops = Tulips (Both flowers)

@chuckthebutcher I think you'll be fine. The wasp likely got in at some stage during hotter proceedings, and was well and truly denuded of any nasties. (Was it alive or dead) That could tell you when it may have been added to the recipe.

Either way. I would have done exactly the same. Scoop it out, move on. Tasty beer is highly likely.

I can't believe nobody noticed this. Does nobody hold the AIC sacred anymore?

It was the ale and the wasp. They just messed up on the name and put that pesky "wh" sound in front of it.

Ha! I just liked that post. I love AIC. saw them live a couple of weeks ago. They did not play The Ale And the Wasp tho... :drunk:

Back