Anyone lager the entire time in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I just racked a lager into my secondary/cornies after 4 weeks. I typically rack my ales from the primary after 2-3 weeks but stretched this batch out a bit longer since I was busy and the weather was bad. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to leave a lager in the primary for a full 2 months or so. Not much advantage unless you get side tracked. Just curious I guess.

I just did this with a CAP. Yeast cake & all into lagering fridge. after 2.5 mos it came out light, pils-sweet, and clean. There's a touch of DMS, but no damage from the yeast cake.

I just bottled my first lager fermented this way--it also was very clear and tasty. I did lager at 34F, though.

That's all I ever do. If I pull them off the cake before I lager there seems to be about a 50/50 shot that I get a little fruitiness. Lager on the cake always turns out great.

Yep. Same here. Call it lazy...Ive always lagered (Bock) on the yeast cake. Comes out just fine.

S.O.P. for me is to leave everything, including lagers, in primary until bottling or kegging time. Lagers have always turned out, from pils to doppelbock.

I did a pilsner as one of my first original recipes, I had only been brewing about two months and didn't even know you "needed" to remove it. Regardless, no issues and no off flavors, it was also about 2.5 months

I usually transfer to keg so I can carb and lager at the same time, but there is zero reason you couldn't leave it in the primary IMHO. Some might say there is the much touted risk of yeast auto. but I've actually never encountered it.

I always rack to a keg to lager. I don't like the hints of yeasty/bready taste that come from extended yeast cake contact. Particularly in the paler lagers. Many folks don't mind these flavors. Try it both ways and see which you perfer

This is the taste, by the way, that one gets from yeast autolysis. The myth is that autolysis creates all kinds of nasty flavors, and that is far from the truth. Many people like the flavors. The only way to get nasty flavors is to also have an infection, and it is some other microbe eating the dead yeast that is making the bad flavors that everyone incorrectly attributes to yeast autolysis. Autolysis is a normal part of the yeast culture cycle, and begins shortly active the stationary phase of growth begins (right after active fermentation stops)

Latest posts

Back