Using Secondary Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
I've got a beer in secondary right now that I'm going to bottle on Sunday. If I brew on Sunday as well can I pitch to the secondary yeast cake?

I know that pitching onto the primary yeast cake is perferred but will I have problems with the secondary cake?

Thanks guys

I poured some of my finished wort into a drained secondary and sloshed it around some to stir up the yeast before pouring into the new primary. Worked great for me, but it was only a first generation secondary. Wouldn't the secondary have some advantages since there is significantly less trub?

Pabst Blue Robot said:
I poured some of my finished wort into a drained secondary and sloshed it around some to stir up the yeast before pouring into the new primary. Worked great for me, but it was only a first generation secondary. Wouldn't the secondary have some advantages since there is significantly less trub?

Those advantages are far outweighed by the disadvantages of the yeast which make it to secondary. The cells that make it into the secondary fermenter have less "floccculation" characteristics - this is why they are still there. This means that if you use those yeast for a new primary fermentation, you are using a group of yeast that have a lower "flocc" rate. This may not be too bad, especially after only one generation. You can see, however, that after a few generations of this, you will have created a mutation in the strain.

Chances are . . . if you are only doing this one time, you will be ok. IMO

right on thanks guys...

I understand the whole floculation rate thing now..that makes since.

I've only used this yeast once and I'm not planning to brew again for awhile.

Just making sure it was going to work right.

Will I get a crazy fermentation like people get when they use the primary yeast cake?

Thanks

greenhornet said:
right on thanks guys...

I understand the whole floculation rate thing now..that makes since.

I've only used this yeast once and I'm not planning to brew again for awhile.

Just making sure it was going to work right.

Will I get a crazy fermentation like people get when they use the primary yeast cake?

Thanks

I doubt it. Remember, that you left a lot of yeast behind in the primary fermenter. Crazy ferments are the result of a high cell count. Since you have reduced the cell count by racking off of the primary yeast cake, your ferment will not be as vigorous as some have reported. In terms of cell count, though, you should have more there than a dried packet - certainly more than a smack pack or a vial.

And the debate continues...

OK, let's say you use the yeast from the secondary...what will you do it it comes out bad? You'd be pissed at yourself (and others who recommended it's OK) for wasting your time and $$$.

Play it safe...use it from the primary. Learn how to wash your yeast and re-use that.;)

orfy said:
That's fair comment but if you don'y try you won't know!

I don't think I'd try it on new or expensive recipe.
That was my point...;)

You want to hear/read about the guy/gal who make THAT mistake...you don't want to be him/her. We are, afterall, supposed to learn from experience...why not make it someone else's experience?

I'll go with that .

But I am a bit of a Maverick when it comes to trying things.
Yes people do things because they work but who's to say it won't work if you do it differently. I weigh up the facts, take into account other brewers experience and then make my own mind up. boundaries should be pushed. That can only be a good thing

I seriously do not think it will ruin the brew or I'd of said so. I wouldn't suggest a method that I thought would ruin someone's beer.

Well there's nothing I can do about it now...

I already ordered all of the ingredients but forgot to order yeast!!

Plus there isn't a home brew shop here so...

I'll let you know.

I'm betting it will be fine. As you said there is probubly more yeast there than a dry pack or anything else.

It could take a bit longer to clear but thats not really an issue bc I don't have a crap load of bottles (yet) and I'll probubly be forced to leave it in secondary for a while any way.

I'm not planning on doing this again though....I'll go with the primary cake if I do it again.

Thanks for the help though guys

Hey So I brewed on Friday and pitched onto the secondary cake. My girlfriend and i went to San Antonio for the weekend and I left the house at 62 degrees.

Anyway I never got to see it bubble but when I got home about an hour ago there was plenty of Krauzten (sp?) at the top of the fermenter.

So it worked...

We'll see if it takes longer to clear or not....

Take it easy

Back