I suck at figuring this crap out on my own...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bweatherly

Reaction score
Recipe calls for Pale malt but brewmasterswarehouse doesn't carry this. They have Light DME... would this work?

It sounds like an all-grain recipe. If you're going to convert it to extract you'll need to account for the specialty grains as well.

Pale malt is grain, you hafta have an AG mashing setup to use this, DME is for extract brewers and is an appropriate substitute, at about a 5:3 grain:extract ratio.

This is the recipe I'm using, which has already been converted to Extract from AG. I'm also converting from LME to DME using the 0.89 formula. It says Pale LME... which I can't find

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/biermunchers-oktoberfast-ale-ag-39021/index2.html#post740744

Pale LME and Pale MAlt are two different things. Just FYI for future reference. Dry malt extract is going to give you the amount of fermentables regardless of type. Light Malt Extract will be fine.

Ok, I am going to use:
Light DME for the Pale LME
and I am going to use
Extra Light DME for the Pilsner LME

Speak now or I will forever hold you accountable for messing up my beer!!! ;)

As long as you account for the greater gravity contribution from dried extract, you can substitute any light DME for any pale LME.

pkeeler, you are correct. But a conversion I have often seen is that 1 lb of LME is equal to 0.89 lb of DME, to which I have applied the conversion in my word document on my home comp :)

Back