The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you get a different melt for sure

I've just bought myself a kenwood chef sense stand mixer, so am looking forward to not doing as much hand kneading which I have always hated. Plus trying a bunch of different breads.

My spent grain dough pizza.

pizza.jpg

Yeah, you get a different melt for sure

I've just bought myself a kenwood chef sense stand mixer, so am looking forward to not doing as much hand kneading which I have always hated. Plus trying a bunch of different breads.

I was pleasantly surprised at the difference in taste. Definitely sticking with the shaving method.

Have fun with the mixer. I started with one (Kitchenaid) and enjoyed it but have since moved to hand kneading.

Goodness! Looking flavorful, it's making me hungry. I was hunting such a simple formula down a while. much obliged for imparting to us. I will make it soon and let you know the outcome

Had these today. dough wasn't what I wanted but thankfully tasted good

White pizza - ricotta, mozzarella, pesto, onions, parma ham
H5uu869.jpg

Other pizzas
ZIcAtvR.jpg

0n4NLuS.jpg

WjG3aVc.jpg

this was the last one, using up all the toppings
Yj5B2hC.jpg

If I had a dog, this would have been his
GBrT2Xt.jpg

Also put in stacked lamb breast on a bed of onions and a tomato sauce to cook in the residual heat. Will either eat tonight or tomorrow
7RK1YZK.jpg

Leave for a pizza and beer pilgrimage tomorrow. Ny, Vermont, Maine, and Connecticut...
But might as well get one last home made pie in first[emoji12]
Calabrian peppers 3 ways. In oil, dried, and fresh. Really liked it.

Attachments

• IMAG2750.jpg
    IMAG2750.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG2751.jpg
    IMAG2751.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG2754.jpg
    IMAG2754.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 124
Not the best pics or pizza. Dough was from a bag at the deli. Ran out of parchment paper so hand tossed and rolled. I don't think the first one had enough sauce. Which makes me wonder how much sauce everyone else uses.
20171201_182753.jpg
20171201_182955.jpg

Which makes me wonder how much sauce everyone else uses.

Usually a trade secret but seeing how hbt is pretty much open source and you being such a swell guy and all... Bout yea much
IMAG3041.jpg

Made a pie using a poolish of roughly 15 hours, cause it's a little cold in the house. Then a RT ferment for about 5 hrs. Not my norm but I really liked it. Stretched 200g of bread flour w/ 60% hydration into 13" skin relatively easy. My east coast trip is making me realize everything I knew, is actually everything I thunk... Also lucali is the best pizza in the world.
IMAG3046.jpg
IMAG3048.jpg
IMAG3050.jpg

Brussels, peas, shallots, mini heirloom tomatoes, and Meyer lemon.

'Za night last night. I didn't take many pics. Used my redneck sourdough starter and cold fermented for 6 days. Was my best tasting dough yet. Was gifted some sourdough starter(friends of Carl) by someone at work. I'll be trying that next time.
One cheese
One meatball, pep, ricotta and basil oil.
IMG_20171216_200318282_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171216_193010824_HDR.jpg

I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but are there any Aurelio's pizza fans here? I'm hoping someone can tell me a bit about their house beer, "Batch 59", brewed exclusively for the restaurants by Two Brothers. It's a great beer to enjoy with what is IMHO the best tasting pizza anywhere. I have a pretty good clone recipe to recreate the pie, and would love to likewise clone the beer.

Still rocking the dough bucket pizzas and batali matinara. Ran out of mozzarella so did cheddar with brat, and a cheddar with spinach and sweet peppers. The only problem, white crust again. Too much flour from rolling? No sugar in dough? Need to brush oil on crust? I think I asked this once before , but i am still fighting this. Any thoughts.
Screenshot_2018-01-02-22-12-52.png

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but are there any Aurelio's pizza fans here? I'm hoping someone can tell me a bit about their house beer, "Batch 59", brewed exclusively for the restaurants by Two Brothers. It's a great beer to enjoy with what is IMHO the best tasting pizza anywhere. I have a pretty good clone recipe to recreate the pie, and would love to likewise clone the beer.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/203003/cane-and-ebel-clone

Do you know for sure it's cane and ebel? I've had that but didn't recognize batch 59 as an IPA. Man I love two brothers beers, so lucky to live out west not far from the brewery.
No I don't. I read somewhere in my google search that the beer they used in the sauce was a red ale.Looking at the list of TB beers Cane and eble fit the description.

I've bought 10kg of molina Grassi "OO" pizza flour off amazon as it was a good price, will be interesting to see how it compares to the bread flour I've been using or if I can actually tell the difference. I did make a loaf out of it yesterday and noticed that it was wetter than the normal bread flour I've been using.

Was wanting to try some of the caputo brand but I wasn't wanting to pay £3.50 a kg for it and while the 25kg sacks are good value, I don't think I could use it all before it went stale :(

The only problem, white crust again. Too much flour from rolling? No sugar in dough? Need to brush oil on crust? I think I asked this once before , but i am still fighting this. Any thoughts.View attachment 552206
What temp is your oven? You could brush olive oil on the crust but I've never seen a pro pizza maker do that. ( referring to the NY style "Neapolitan" pie... No rolling pins either ;) )
I think the heat of the oven and a little olive oil in the dough is key to the crust you are looking for.

^^thanks for the thoughts, the oven is 500, I guess I can set it at 550 too. Sometimes I dont let it preheat long enough. Its a convection oven and i have done both. Havent really documented very well. I dont know where heat comes from but on bake it seems the steel on the bottom shelf works better but I dont know. I have brushed crust and used to brush the whole pizza lightly. Dont know why I stopped that. Anyways, I wonder if the artisan bread recipe has something to do with it. Or lack of sugar and oil in dough. Haha, I am totally using the pin.

Last edited:
500 is pretty darn hot for the kitchen range. ( I'm not a fan of burnt crust, browned is great, black is not ) Letting it fully preheat may help. I have a thin stone and if I don't let it preheat at least 20 mins my bottom crust doesn't brown. I haven't used a convection oven, but with the air circulating, moving it to the top shouldn't matter.

I took some dough and ingredients to my mom's around Thanksgiving and made a few pies for the family.
She had a convection oven. I had almost no color to the crust and the cheese was browning.
I fully utilize the bottom burner in my old school oven to get the crust crisp and brown.
Depending on the crust thickness, I will either finish it two slots above the burner on the rack or drop it there after the stone, pull and cool the pie and then finish on the stone(NY street style, as the double bake has a lot more to do with it than some ppl give credit).
No oil and to much flour will also contribute to pale crust. Too low hydration can as well. 55-60% is where I stay, personally. Higher or lower if doing pan or stuffed pan, respectfully.
If your oven has a broiler, you could put your stone on the next to top rack. Preheat. Switch to broil a minute or two before loading. Load pie on the rack below the stone on a quality screen(the larger the preforation, the better. Finish on the stone under the broiler.
The pie being under the stone will limit air flow, there by limiting top bake, allowing some melt left for the broiler. The radiant heat will allow the dough to still bake well as you are just limiting circulation, not temperature. Meanwhile, the stone will get plenty hot under the broiler.
Note, once you hit the broiler, pay close attention. I would crank it to 550 for the preheat.
Also, make sure you keep all moisture away from your stone. NO WATER EVER.
If you put a previously wet stone under a broiler, it will most likely break. There is still a greater chance of it breaking by putting it under the broiler and I refuse to be held responsible. ;)
No worries with a steel.
Another option would be to sandwich the pie between two stones(on one, below another).
The general rule of thumb with pizza/bread and convection is time=bake temp=color IIRC.
Here's a short write-up of using the broiler and a steel in a convection oven.
http://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/perfect-pizza-using-baking-steel-broiler-method

Good luck!

Last edited:
Whats your dough fermentation process?

I rock my oven at 550F and i don't think its hot enough. My last oven was easy to override and i could get it up to 650F easily. Made GREAT pizza. My current oven is gas too, which sucks. Love the gas range but gas ovens are the devil when it comes to browning since it's moist heat. This was all with a stone.

Things are greatly different with a steel. 500+ will blacken crust in under 3 minutes so you need to be very careful.

:)

My first ever attempt at pizza romana

I seem to have only taken pictures of the badly shaped ones, the other few I made were round. honest.
dough was

100% Molina grassi 00 -first time using this, made a lovely dough imo
61% water
2.8% salt
0.2% IDY
glug of EVOO

balled straight away, 12CF + 2 hours to come to rt . Each dough ball was 180g, so was pretty thin. Next time I'll top it up to the rim as you can see it bubbled underneath where it wasn't topped

various badly added toppings
smiley.gif

Mozzarella, scamorza, jarlsberg, ricotta, parmesan, olives, pesto, chilli, fried aubergine and mushrooms, sweet peppers, salami milano, evoo, pepper. I think that's it

6XPxdU9.jpg

3xkd9Al.jpg

FGFJFpS.jpg

F4Vyc5k.jpg

(mostly)Sourdough and Italian yeast dough.
Made soughdough poolish last Sunday, dough Monday, balled on Wednesday.
I did an experiment on baking position
Long story short, starting on the stone and finishing below the stone over direct heat(no screen) yields far superior bake n my personal setup.
Pies were olive oil, garlic, poly-o moz, ricotta, San Marzano sauce, more oil
And SM sauce, pep mush and Polly o
A bit of GFS moz on the second
IMG_20180113_191401432.jpg
IMG_20180113_193126234.jpg
IMG_20180113_200656472.jpg
IMG_20180113_194657540.jpg
IMG_20180113_200914861.jpg

@Jwin solid tips, much appreciated. Screen is great idea. How do parchment and screen compare? Tonight we are babysitting friends kids so we let them make pies. And I noticed the girl rubbed sauce all over crust and it browned well!? So dont know about that. Convection was clearly problematic and this crust is so much better and airy. I let it sit out of the fridge longer and it was a wetter dough. Look forward to trying broiler and above tips soon. A little oil in dough or spread, starting under steel, maybe screen. Didntvquite understand double bake method. Could you expand a little on that, please? Thanks again
20180113_183838.jpg
20180113_182542.jpg
20180113_190700.jpg
20180113_184429.jpg
20180113_183608.jpg

Sure
So, as far a NY street slices go...
If you grab a slice on the street, it is on display as being just barely underbaked and it is reheated/baked a second time after cooling. The cell structure of the dough is there, the melt is done, but it's not fully browned.
It's akin this to double frying, where you pull the food being fried shortly before completion but after the exterior is done, cool for a moment, then fry again.
Both allow a bit of steam/moisture to escape the product, allowing for a crisper crust/exterior.
Also, not all screens are equal.
I personally love these screens, see attachment. Never had a pie stick to one once seasoned. Excellent for any heating in the oven of bread or breaded items as well.
I believe they are called quick discs. Lots of air flow and they get hot fast, due to material and less mass(I assume).

Happy slappin.

1515901307078.jpeg

Edit,
Never used parchment for pies
It's rated for 400-450. I'm use I'd find a way to catch it on fire at 550
Between the screens, stone and direct heat, I've never felt it was needed.
I just build my pies on the screens like hundreds of thousands of other pizza places do.

Back