Apfelwein with 100% cane sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? I'm having trouble finding corn sugar and would like to whip up a batch of this before I leave for a 2 weeks trip. I checked in the sticky and the highest portion of cane sugar was 2/3. I know that it can impart a cidery flavor, but would that be so bad in a cider? Could i substitute that last 1/3 with honey or another readily available sugar? thanks

You can do whatever you'd like, it's your cider! As for it tasting bad, cidery off flavors only occur in beer when too much sugar is added, it'll be fine in apple juice.

I don't know about adding cane sugar, never done it before. But some other good places that sell corn sugar are cooking/ baking supply stores. Here in Canada the store is called 'Bulk Barn' not sure what American has to offer, but I find that it's a lot cheaper than buying it at my local brew store, and I can bulk up and buy 20 kilos at a time!

I regularly use cane sugar with great results. I hear dextrose will ferment quicker, but a little patience and cane sugar works fine. The only "off" flavors I get are when the apfelwein is green. I suspect these are the same off flavors you get with green apfelwein made with dextrose. I just age my stuff for a couple months and it tastes great.

My LHBS is a PITA to get to. The more ingredients I can get at the grocery store, the better.

Latest posts

Back