Flacked Wheat Vs malted wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Whats the difference, Ive seen both kinds in recipes, the one I was planning on brewing in a couple weeks has malted (what i bought)... but what is the difference? are they interchangeable?

Wits would be best with true unmalted wheat, which would require a cereal mash.

Flaked wheat does not require a cereal mash (it's pregelatinized), but both unmalted and flaked wheat require regular mashing. Oats, also traditionally used in wits, would also require a mash.

Malted wheat has enzymes to convert itself and others. Flaked and unmalted wheat do not.

Basically, none of these can be used without mashing.

I believe torrified wheat can replace unmalted wheat and doesn't require a cereal mash. It just gets crushed with the rest of the grains and mash as normal...perhaps include a protein rest.

Wits would be best with true unmalted wheat, which would require a cereal mash.

Flaked wheat does not require a cereal mash (it's pregelatinized), but both unmalted and flaked wheat require regular mashing. Oats, also traditionally used in wits, would also require a mash.

Malted wheat has enzymes to convert itself and others. Flaked and unmalted wheat do not.

Basically, none of these can be used without mashing.

So as long as I mash (which I was planning on doing anyways) im fine with the malted wheat?

yes, but it will not give the same flavor as the unmalted and I wouldn't recommend it for a wit. If you are doing all-grain, I would recommend a cereal mash with unmalted wheat and the remainder of the grain bill to be pilsner.

I forgot about torrified.

:drunk:

I used torrified in my last wheat and it does not require a cereal mash. The grains have been "popped" so the starches are exposed and it's pregelatinized like the flaked. It worked very well in my wit and tasted great, but I think you can get a lighter color using straight unmalted wheat.

Torrified would actually be my #1 recommendation if you aren't going all crazy about the color. It can be used in the mash with the pilsner (and maybe oats). I would recommend some rice hulls when using torrified.

Color me confuzed.

So would malted wheat in a mash produce as good a Wit as with flaked wheat, what would the difference be? :confused:

Thanks!

Malted wheat = darker color, different flavor profile.

Recommendations for wheat in wit:

#1 - unmalted wheat = requires cereal mash (more trouble)
#2 - torrified wheat = straight mash, rice hulls, a little difference in color, great flavor
#3 - flaked wheat = straight mash, rice hulls, a different flavor and an even greater difference in color
#4 - malted wheat and/or wheat extract = not traditional...will still make a fine beer but not really a wit.

Torrified wheat and flaked wheat are exactly the same product except that the flaked has been crushed flat post popping. I do not know about any actual differences in taste or appearance.

Thanks DB! Much appreciated. I noticed in the recipe threads here, that many recipes used unmalted and others used flaked. BierMunchers used flaked IIRC.

Malted wheat = darker color, different flavor profile.

Recommendations for wheat in wit:

#1 - unmalted wheat = requires cereal mash (more trouble)
#2 - torrified wheat = straight mash, rice hulls, a little difference in color, great flavor
#3 - flaked wheat = straight mash, rice hulls, a different flavor and an even greater difference in color
#4 - malted wheat and/or wheat extract = not traditional...will still make a fine beer but not really a wit.

On another side note... torrified and flaked will lend a tart and citrusy note to the grain bill in smaller amounts, but if you get to a larger percentage it will begin to show toasty or very biscuity flavors that are likely not what you are going for.

Latest posts

Back