Mixing Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Are there any guidelines as to what beers mix together well?

I know about Black and Tans (Stout and Pale Ale).

Any other good ones?

I have an Amber Lager that came out with a STRONG diacetyl taste (I guess two days was not a long enough rest) that tastes pretty darn good mixed with Bock.

The locals mix Blue Moon and Troegs Mad Elf this time of year to make Mad Moon. I hear it's spectacular. And they guys at the Troegs Brewery mix stuff all the time.

As for guidelines for mixing...try stuff, see what works.

I mix beers at random. Right now I have a blend of sweet stout, american brown and hallertauer pale ale waiting for a tap, tastes odd but nice.

I mixed a homebrewed Amber Ale with a Sam Winter Lager and it was fantastic.

I also had an accidental mix of Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter with Youngs Double Chocolate once and it came out tremendous!

Old Rasputin Imperial stout blended with Dogfish Pumpkin Ale is quite nice.

If you keg and you have two beers on tap, say a blonde or mild APA and a dark beer like a porter, then you could say you also have an amber and a brown ale on tap. Just mix the pale and dark together in the right proportions.

source.gif

Whenever I have a brew that is a little too far in one direction, eg sweet or dry, too malty or hoppy, etc. Have not needed too lately, but since I experiment with recipes, it happens from time to time.

Back