Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HA! Theoretically, pipe smoking can be a lot cheaper than any other type of smoking. I moved over to mostly pipes as cigars started to rise in price a few years ago. It was initially nice getting 2 tins of tobacco for the price of one good cigar. Then, I found a new hobby of collecting pipes. So yeah, everything comes with a cost.

I have no problem with the upfront cost. I'm tired of stinking to high heaven, and not being able to smoke at home. Pipes solve both.

I have no problem with the upfront cost. I'm tired of stinking to high heaven, and not being able to smoke at home. Pipes solve both.

Yeah, I meant that more as a joke.

Pipes definitely leave the best room note of any burned tobacco and they certainly don't fill a room with smoke like cigarettes and definitely cigars do.

Here are the two after 320 grit and the first coat of cherry stain. Next up is 400 grit, more cherry stain, 600 grit, more cherry stain, 1500 grit, then on to the buffer. The grain is not as nice as it was in my Rhodesian, but it still looks nice.

View attachment 329110

View attachment 329111

View attachment 329112

View attachment 329113

View attachment 329114

View attachment 329115

Nice... What would it take to get you to send me one of those beauties? XP I miss smoking a pipe.

Just finished up to 600 grit on the pipes and 1500 grit on the stems. Taking a break for the night as I need to let the stems dry before moving on. Wet sanded the stems, and want them dry before re-attaching and sanding the pipe at 1500. Then it's on to the buffer.

At this rate, I should be done with both by tomorrow night. :ban:

It arrived!

Tobacco.jpg

Pipe.jpg

Just finished bending the stem on the churchwarden and giving her a polish on the buffing wheel with brown tripoli. All that's left is to wax her, but I don't feel like it right now. So, sitting with some whisky and watching Netflix.

Didn't really want to do it, but I did anyway.

Bought another 4 ounces of 1Q and 4 ounces of VBC. Plan is to blend an ounce of each into a third mixture. Also bought a tin of DaVinci. Smells FANTASTIC!

Hey all, just spent a bunch of time reading this thread. I just picked up my first pipe about 3 weeks ago and my second this week along with ca couple of tins.

Captain Black Royal is a really nice pouch blend. Not very heavy on the nicotine but still a thoroughly enjoyable smoke.

This was their cheapest model and was $76.

Not bad. Most of the shops around here either have basket pipes at $30, which I am fine with, or pipes starting at $100. I get it, it is a craft. But damn. It's a small chunk of wood and a piece of plastic. And not a rare chunk of wood at that.

Not bad. Most of the shops around here either have basket pipes at $30, which I am fine with, or pipes starting at $100. I get it, it is a craft. But damn. It's a small chunk of wood and a piece of plastic. And not a rare chunk of wood at that.

Yep. All I've ever smoked are basket pipes and cheap estate pipes. This is my first, and last, brand new pipe.

Yep. All I've ever smoked are basket pipes and cheap estate pipes. This is my first, and last, brand new pipe.

Don't have any estate pipes. Nor have I lucked on any estate sale/garage sale pipes. All I've ever smoked are drug store, basket, and cobb.

Can't imagine there is anything inherently better about a more expensive pipe. Especially considering how thin walled some of them can be. But I wonder.

I do know that some utilize differing systems for dealing with drink. But that is an easy issue to deal with on all but the worst of pipes.

Was debating on this one. $15 3 tins of 1.75oz Vanillas Sampler. Anyone tried any of these?

Bjarne Viking Odin's Wind

Drew Estate 7th Avenue Blonde

Out of Office Locked Out

Was debating on this one. $15 3 tins of 1.75oz Vanillas Sampler. Anyone tried any of these?

Bjarne Viking Odin's Wind

Drew Estate 7th Avenue Blonde

Out of Office Locked Out

I've known a blonde or two to taste like vanilla. Never would have guessed Odin's farts would.

If you are fond of vanilla, I can suggest McLelland Vanilla Black Cavendish. Bag note is that of a vanilla candle. Room note is woody/sweet. Taste is silky/creamy. Almost vanilla cake like but VERY subtle.

I've known a blonde or two to taste like vanilla. Never would have guessed Odin's farts would.

If you are fond of vanilla, I can suggest McLelland Vanilla Black Cavendish. Bag note is that of a vanilla candle. Room note is woody/sweet. Taste is silky/creamy. Almost vanilla cake like but VERY subtle.

LOL well played.

I am not much into vanilla, but figured for the price, I could try out a few.

Sadly my local tobacco shop mostly caters to cigar smokers, and I've only met one pipe smoker there. So they don't have any basket pipes or anything of the like. The only pipes they have that I can afford right now are corn cob, and in my experience with the last two is they burn rather hot.
I miss pipe smoking though so I might pick another one up soon.

Sadly my local tobacco shop mostly caters to cigar smokers, and I've only met one pipe smoker there. So they don't have any basket pipes or anything of the like. The only pipes they have that I can afford right now are corn cob, and in my experience with the last two is they burn rather hot.
I miss pipe smoking though so I might pick another one up soon.

Corn Cobbs burnt hot?

Something must be very wrong for that to happen.

Oh really? Is there something I could be doing wrong? I'm not exactly a seasoned pipe smoking vet lol

My suspicion is that either your tobacco is too dry, or you are puffing too fast.

Corn Cobb pipes are notorious for being "cool smoking" because they just do not have the heat retaining density of briar.

Regardless of material, if the pipe is too hot to handle. It is a sign that it is being smoked too fast. Much like "hotboxing" a cigarette.

Pipe smoking "should" be relaxing (although I admit it can be, at times, infuriating). A common saying is that the tobacco should be on the verge of going out between puffs. The payoff for this is that once achieved, you will discover that the smoke itself takes on a whole new level of flavor and aroma.

Are you a transitional smoker? Meaning are you going from cigarettes to pipe? I only ask because cigs aren't generally regarded as something to "enjoy" by smokers. they are regarded more often as a delivery method.

My suspicion is that either your tobacco is too dry, or you are puffing too fast.

Corn Cobb pipes are notorious for being "cool smoking" because they just do not have the heat retaining density of briar.

Regardless of material, if the pipe is too hot to handle. It is a sign that it is being smoked too fast. Much like "hotboxing" a cigarette.

Pipe smoking "should" be relaxing (although I admit it can be, at times, infuriating). A common saying is that the tobacco should be on the verge of going out between puffs. The payoff for this is that once achieved, you will discover that the smoke itself takes on a whole new level of flavor and aroma.

Are you a transitional smoker? Meaning are you going from cigarettes to pipe? I only ask because cigs aren't generally regarded as something to "enjoy" by smokers. they are regarded more often as a delivery method.

I used to smoke cigarettes yes, and they definitely aren't meant to be enjoyed like a pipe but more just to get the nicotine. I quit once I realized that I was just smoking to satisfy an addiction and not because I enjoyed it. Pipe smoking on the other hand I thoroughly enjoy. I probably do puff too much on it, mostly because I have a hard time sometimes getting it to stay lit. Most of the time my tobacco wasn't too dry I don't think, only time it got dry was one time when I accidentally left a tin of it open.

I'll just have to focus on taking my time with it a bit more. I was looking at some calabash pipes on Amazon that I had to stop myself from getting because of the price lol but I've heard they are great to smoke from. Maybe one day, once I have the art of the pipe down.

Long day is long. Don't really need any more tobacco but ...

Peterson University Flake, S&G Full Virginia Flake, Dunhill Royal Yacht, and Gawith Dark Flake ordered anyway.

Need to clean up some old pipes too. Ordered a reamer.

What are some good tobacco recommendations for an inexperienced pipe smoker? Something that's a little sweet but not overly so, smooth with a nice room note preferably? Something without much of a bite. I know I've tried some in the past that had some vanilla notes and some with cherry that I enjoyed.

I hopefully will be getting my pipe in tomorrow, it's just a cheap Missouri Meerschaum Hardwood pipe. So if I get my pipe tomorrow I'm heading to the tobacco shop and picking me up something to break it in.

What are some good tobacco recommendations for an inexperienced pipe smoker? Something that's a little sweet but not overly so, smooth with a nice room note preferably? Something without much of a bite. I know I've tried some in the past that had some vanilla notes and some with cherry that I enjoyed.

I hopefully will be getting my pipe in tomorrow, it's just a cheap Missouri Meerschaum Hardwood pipe. So if I get my pipe tomorrow I'm heading to the tobacco shop and picking me up something to break it in.

for a mellow aromatic with a nice room note, Ole Shenandoah's 76 is nice and I've been digging the hell out of Lane's 1Q. not much bite at all.

for a mellow aromatic with a nice room note, Ole Shenandoah's 76 is nice and I've been digging the hell out of Lane's 1Q. not much bite at all.

Lane's 1Q is one that I've heard all over the place, so it must be good lol I'll have to try both. I'm pretty sure the local tobacco shop will have Lane 1Q, because I know I've had a Lane from them before. Hopefully they have Ole Shenandoah's 76 as well.

I'm excited to get back into smoking a pipe. It was a really good way to relax, and helped me clear my mind for my more creative pursuits.

Lane's 1Q is one that I've heard all over the place, so it must be good lol I'll have to try both. I'm pretty sure the local tobacco shop will have Lane 1Q, because I know I've had a Lane from them before. Hopefully they have Ole Shenandoah's 76 as well.

I'm excited to get back into smoking a pipe. It was a really good way to relax, and helped me clear my mind for my more creative pursuits.

when I smoke pipe at night, I tend to think about cutting my next pipe. hahaha!!

when I smoke pipe at night, I tend to think about cutting my next pipe. hahaha!!

Haha well I would still count that as a creative pursuit xD My pursuits vary from beer recipes, to writing, to photography and videography (usually editing at night or planning the next shoot)... Though since my laptop died on my those last 2 are taking a bit of an extended hiatus.

Back