Wheat beer recipe critique/help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm looking to build off a wheat recipe I made as my first AG BIAB batch. I want a nice, citrus-honey flavored wheat, here's what I have so far:
6lbs wheat
4lbs 2 row
1lb honey malt
.5oz centennial at 60mins
.5oz cascade at 15 minutes
.5oz cascade at 5 minutes
.5 oz of crushed coriander at 5 mins,
I plan on zesting a few oranges, maybe one lemon as well for flameout.

It's not exactly "true to style," just looking to make a delicious wheat based beer.

What whitelabs yeast do you like that work well with orangey-honey type wheats?

What are your thoughts on my hop additions? I'm really looking for something that accentuates the citrus honey flavors. Should I axe the 5 minute additions?

If I'm working with Poland Spring bottled water, do you suggest any water additions to get the desired effect?
Also, is this too much honey malt? I'm looking for a pronounced honey flavor...I added a lb of clove honey in my last wheat batch, and of course it all fermented out, haha.

I'm super-new with brewing in general, let alone AG/BIAB. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

I’m probably blowing it out my arse (blame my stout) but…

I’d add the 5 min to the 60 min to skip hop aroma; I like the orange zest; adding coriander makes me think about using a Belgian wit yeast… on an extreme, maybe serve with lemon peel???

I think you'd do well to use WLP001 or WLP320. I'd probably go with 320. If you want something more like a Belgian wit I'd try WLP400. Why not try both 001 and 320 in a split batch and see which one you like best. I do this often when I'm brewing a style I've never brewed before.

Thanks for the yeast suggestions! I was leaning towards either 380, 300, or 320.

I'll move the 5 minute additions to 15 minutes...

It should look good from there! I'm still tossed up on the yeast...I just recently started and pitched my first liquid yeast (1388 Wyeast), so I'm still in the process of learning the different yeast characteristics. Thanks for the help so far!

Cascade hops give me the grapefruit aroma. You could try replacing the Cascade with Citra if you can get it. Do half an ounce at 15 and I think you will get plenty of flavor/aroma of citrus.

Back