The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem with Yedlin vs Bale is Yedlin is **** on the ball. Maybe he'll improve but it seems like anytime he takes someone on one on one with the ball he puts it out of play or is dispossessed. His best attack asset is the overlap which is why fullback likely will always be his position.

Good point there mate - also like to add to that Yedlin can send in a cross
BareBronzeCopperhead.gif

I heard Yedlin and CCV did pretty well today. As I understand it, Yedlin outplayed Trippier while Yedlin was out of positiona nd Trippier was in his first. Heard rumors that Sunderland wants Trippier and I wonder if Spurs playing Yedlin out at LB this preseason is to see if he can be the 3rd fullback.

Yedlin has a long way to go before surpassing Walker or Rose. Surpassing Trippier as a backup is a possibility. Sunderland has also tossed out making Yedlin's loan permanent. Tripper is better technically, but I think Yedlin has greater potential of he can get his touch to match his pace.

CCV was better today. He was horrific against Juve.

Another week of MLS action as we start to move towards the end of the season.

Chicago Gives Up
Chicago may have managed to get a draw against the New York Red Bulls, but off the field they admitted defeat for the season, they sold off designated player Kennedy Igboananike. The Nigerian striker had only managed to score 4 goals in 18 appearances for the club, so it's not surprising they're moving on from him, but the club now has two open designated player spots and they have no signs of filling them. At this point, once again, Chicago enters rebuilding mode, maybe the sixth time is the charm?

NYCFC May Be Legit
I doubted it before, but after NYCFC's 5-1 beating of 2nd in the west Colorado despite missing key figures like David Villa due to suspension, I'm convinced that NYCFC is the real deal. Anyone can have a bad night like Colorado did, but capitalizing on those mistakes is a sign of a good team, so good on NYCFC.

Peter Vermes Reaches 100 Wins
Sporting KC beat Portland on Sunday, giving Peter Vermes his 100th regular season win. Vermes completely changed the culture in Kansas City when he took over in 2009, and since then he's turned them into a winning team, he's got one of the best records in the league for current coaches, kudos to him.

Chicago Gives Up
Chicago may have managed to get a draw against the New York Red Bulls, but off the field they admitted defeat for the season, they sold off designated player Kennedy Igboananike. The Nigerian striker had only managed to score 4 goals in 18 appearances for the club, so it's not surprising they're moving on from him, but the club now has two open designated player spots and they have no signs of filling them. At this point, once again, Chicago enters rebuilding mode, maybe the sixth time is the charm?

Maybe this guy can help The Fire out, even if just a loan for the end of the season
1396508841000-04-02-2014-Julian-Green.jpg

I doubt it, for a few reasons. First, Green may actually be a first teamer (though on the bench) with Bayern Munich this season, if he is, the chances of him coming to MLS are virtually nil. Second, I don't think Green would be a good fit for the Fire; quite frankly their current staff doesn't seem great at fostering young talent, and that's what Green needs, he's not a finished product yet. Third, realistically the chances of the Fire making the playoffs are pretty much nil, it would literally be a history comeback in MLS history, nobody in their PPG position at this point in the season has ever made the playoffs; the fire seem to realize this, thus the early rebuilding mode. (Note: There are other teams in a similar position, such as the Columbus Crew, who have not yet gone to rebuild mode, or if they have, have done so very quietly.) I think the Fire will basically play with what they have, assess their current players and then go on a spending spree come the winter transfer window.

I doubt it, for a few reasons. First, Green may actually be a first teamer (though on the bench) with Bayern Munich this season, if he is, the chances of him coming to MLS are virtually nil. Second, I don't think Green would be a good fit for the Fire; quite frankly their current staff doesn't seem great at fostering young talent, and that's what Green needs, he's not a finished product yet. Third, realistically the chances of the Fire making the playoffs are pretty much nil, it would literally be a history comeback in MLS history, nobody in their PPG position at this point in the season has ever made the playoffs; the fire seem to realize this, thus the early rebuilding mode. (Note: There are other teams in a similar position, such as the Columbus Crew, who have not yet gone to rebuild mode, or if they have, have done so very quietly.) I think the Fire will basically play with what they have, assess their current players and then go on a spending spree come the winter transfer window.

I did start my post w/ the word 'maybe' ;) Cheers!!! :mug: - good breakdown though

Green is probably gonna make Bayern's first squad, and that's huge. It looks like a new coach was a big thing for him. MOving from wing to forward has been great for him.

So it looks like Alejandro Bedoya is heading to the Philadelphia Union.

Bedoya to Union

The Union started the season strong, but have been slumping since then, picking up Bedoya could add the offensive spark that they need. For Bedoya, the transfer fee was reportedly $1 million, with a roughly $850k per year salary, a nice raise, though not as dramatic as some USMNT stars. Bedoya had previously griped that the Sounders and other MLS clubs had undervalued him in negotiations that apparently took place last year, but it looks like the Union were willing to pay enough to bring him over. It's possible that Bedoya could lose his place in Klinsmann's plans with the moves, but it's not like Nantes was a huge powerhouse of European soccer, they were nearly relegated at one point last season. ending the season a mere 8 points out of the relegation zone. Either way, the Union may have just gotten the spark for the last third of the season to propel them into the playoffs for the first time in years.

Another week of crazy MLS action, a few highlights.

Reminder: Sebastian Giovinco is Very, Very Good
It's not just that the Atomic Ant scored a hat trick, it's how he did it, two amazing goals from distance and a penalty. The scary thing is, there really isn't much you can do to stop him or slow him down; try to shut him down at distance and he'll beat you up close, try to keep him outside and he'll deliver an astonishing, curving ball to the top corner. Toronto is, for my money, the best team in the east right now, and the points per game back this up, they're top of the east in PPG and 3rd overall in MLS (behind only FC Dallas and Colorado Rapids); meanwhile the New England Revolution are struggling to just stay above the rising tide of the red line.

The Champs Are Still Here
The Timbers haven't had the greatest of seasons so far, but an emphatic win over Sporting KC in a chippy, nasty game reminds everyone that they're still in contention. The 3-0 victory is their biggest margin over SKC to date, and put the Timbers both above the red line and within striking distance of Sporting KC's 5th spot, only 2 points off. Unfortunately the man sent off was defensive midfielder Diego Chara, and centerback Liam Ridgewell had to be carted off in the second half after some sort of injury on a corner kick. With additional loss of Nat Borchers this leaves the Timbers dangerously weak in central defense for their road trip to DC United, and possibly beyond.

Reminder: The Refs Still Suck
LA vs NY should have been a great game of battling midfields and top of the league strikers...instead a lot of attention was (and will continue to be) focused on the referees. NYRB fans would argue that the 2-2 draw should have been a big win for them, a nasty tackle by Jeff Larentowicz should have seen red and there was at least one (I'd argue two) clear penalties that weren't called. A lot of people rightfully have to ask why PRO (the MLS referee's union) can't correct the obviously bad missed calls.

As a USMNT fan lots to get hype about. Cameron Carter-Vickers and Yedlin made first team for Tottenham, Pulisic in DOrtmund's first team. Green in Bayern's first team, that's 4 young players on first teams of Champions league teams.

As a USMNT fan lots to get hype about. Cameron Carter-Vickers and Yedlin made first team for Tottenham, Pulisic in DOrtmund's first team. Green in Bayern's first team, that's 4 young players on first teams of Champions league teams.

Yedlin didn't make the game day roster.

I'm hoping for another Sunderland loan at this point. With the players in front of him, I don't see how he'll regularly make the 18.

Well, that Liverpool/Arsenal match was a ride. Neither side did exceptionally well, I'd say, rather just who did worse ;)

Highly entertaining of course and score line that is a rarity. But the announcers were taking the stance along the lines of "it has been 91 days since the last epl match and it this what we've been missing" implying this match is the norm.

Yedlin didn't make the game day roster.

I'm hoping for another Sunderland loan at this point. With the players in front of him, I don't see how he'll regularly make the 18.

Latest rumors are saying sales to Hull or Derby County. Championship, or at least soon to be going back to the Championship ;)

Highly entertaining of course and score line that is a rarity. But the announcers were taking the stance along the lines of "it has been 91 days since the last epl match and it this what we've been missing" implying this match is the norm.

Eh, I don't know. It honestly smacked of the underachievement of the large clubs of last year. The pundits all seem to believe that this year will be different given the large sums spent, but I'll believe it when I see it. Of course Arsenal and Liverpool didn't go on nearly the spending spree that Manchester United did, but remove the Pogba deal and it's perhaps a little closer (I don't recall what they paid for Zlatan but it was at least marginally more reasonable edit: doh, it was a free transfer, duh, but I don't know how the hell they thought Pogba warranted a world record sum, he's damned good but he's not THAT good).

oh I want Wenger to stay @ the Helm of arsenal - today losing 4-3 was really embarrassing - didn't get the deals needed to solidify their defense & is showed - long season for gooners :)

Another fun week of MLS action, a few results worth noticing:

Alejandro Bedoya Makes His Debut For Philadelphia
Bedoya may not have an assist or goal for his troubles, but he proved to be a key offensive piece in the 4-0 thwacking of the New England Revolution in his first game. If Bedoya can be a spark like Jones was for the Revolution two years ago, the Union should find themselves solidly in the playoff picture. The Revolution, meanwhile, need something if they want to stay in the eastern conference playoff picture.

Jason Kreis and OCSC Need to Do Better
Jason Kreis was brought in by OCSC to get them into the playoffs, but so far the results have been underwhelming. If Kreis and Oralando truly want to make the playoffs then Kreis needs to change something, and fast; a draw against the worst team in the league, the Chicago Fire, is not the sort of results the front office expects.

The Montreal Cubic Zirconia
The Impact tried a diamond formation against the Red Bulls, and while I'm all for tactical flexibility, in this case it really didn't work out. Without the strong midfield strength necessary for it, the Red Bulls ran rampant over Montreal to the tune of 3-1. Maybe try a 4-5-1? Or even a 5-3-2 instead?

MLS had an interesting week of action, a few games worth noting:

Chicago Got Their First Away Win In Over 2 Years!
The Chicago Fire haven't won an away game since Chivas USA was a team that existed, and that team actually won (by a couple of hours) more recently than them. The Fire finally got an away win, good for them, now maybe they can actually stop being terrible.

Houston Get Their First Away Win of the Season
Houston beat San Jose in San Jose, their first away win of the season. Only the Portland Timbers haven't won an away match yet in MLS, speaking of...

Sounders Beat Timbers in Seattle, Will Play Again Soon
The Sounders beat the Timbers 3-1, an exact reverse of the results from the last time these two teams played in Portland. Nonetheless, in Cascadia terms Vancouver and Portland remain tied on points, with Portland ahead. The Sounders are now resurgent, they could make the playoffs, and if they beat Houston in Houston this Wednesday they would surpass the Timbers in MLS standings. More importantly, the Timbers and Sounders face off in Portland on Sunday, for an all important game that could determine their playoff chances. Expect fireworks next Sunday.

Yep, looks like he's heading to Newcastle for a pretty sizable fee too. Sounders FC will get a $600k cut of the transfer, according to rumors, which is a nice little bonus for us Sounders fans. Hopefully Newcastle get promoted next year and Yedlin gets back to the Premier League.

Does anyone know if you can quantify how far up Leo Messi's a$$ Ray Hudson would like to be? I know that he's fabulously in love with number 10 .. miraculously in love .. brilliantly, miraculously, ingeniously in love. But how do you measure? If his entire head were up there is it enough? Or is it a head and a half measure? Up to the shoulders?

Yeah, that Yedlin Newcastle transfer kind of came up out of nowhere, and kind of disappointed. I liked him, better than some of our other backup options. Although for you folks who care about the USMNT it's arguably better for him even in Championship since he's FAR more likely to start regularly.

Does anyone know if you can quantify how far up Leo Messi's a$$ Ray Hudson would like to be? I know that he's fabulously in love with number 10 .. miraculously in love .. brilliantly, miraculously, ingeniously in love. But how do you measure? If his entire head were up there is it enough? Or is it a head and a half measure? Up to the shoulders?

not sure but my favorite quote from Ray Hudson was he was a coach for DC United:

“Without penetration, it’s just masturbation, and right now, we’re playing with ourselves.”
:p
Here is one of his most famous rants about stupid tennis players & Hollywood actors
[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7gu-7WXvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7gu-7WXvI[/ame]

US calls 26 into qualifying

GK - Guzan, Howard, Horvath
DF - Acosta, Besler, Birnbaum, Brooks, Cameron, Gonzalez, Johnson, Orozco, Yedlin
MF - Arriola, Beckerman, Bedoya, Bradley, Jones, Nagbe, Pulisic, Stanko, Zusi
FW - Jozy, Morris, Rubin, Wondo, Wood

Few things that I don't like is Wondo and Beckerman, interesting to see Stanko called in and Green not called in but I think Klinsmann is leaving Green out in hopes he gets more looks at Bayern.

What I like is that we don't have Dempsey, just to see what we could do without him when the games get harder. Clint isn't getting any younger.

Last few days of the transfer window. About to get nutty (not that it wasn't already). Isco coming to Spurs on loan, allegedly. I'll believe it when I see it.

John Brooks is out, supposedly with a back injury. Sacha Kljestan is in instead. Kljestan has had a phenomenal couple of seasons with the NYRB, so it's good to see Klinsmann reward him with a call up. Maybe he plays in the first game since the USMNT could use some midfield reinforcements to suspensions and injuries.

The next Great English CM, Jack Wilshire, is about to move abroad from emirates :eek: - so what do you guy make of this guy's career so far? Over-rated or under-achieved? I think a bit of both

Wilshere to Bournemouth. Hart went abroad. Bindippers finally offloaded Balotelli. We paid too much for Sissoko at the death with or without drama depending on who's account you read.

Love deadline day.

A few observations from the USMNT's curb-stomping of St. Vincent and the Grenadines

St. Vincent Are Really Bad
Look, there's no way to sugar coat it, St. Vincent are pretty terrible; the USMNT should have beaten them and did, handily. But games like these can be "trap" games in CONCACAF qualifying, get too overconfident and you can find yourself sweaty and exhausted looking at a 1-0 deficit. This is the CONCACAF version of a "rainy day at Stoke"; a day in which you need to get things done despite the conditions and the defensive play of the opposing team.

Christian Pulisic is Very Good
I'm always cautious of giving USMNT players too much hype too soon, but Pulisic looks like the real deal. When he entered the game, he changed the complexion of it entirely. Suddenly the USMNT seemed to always have the ball in the right place on attack and things just sort of clicked. 3 goals in 30 minutes, even against minnows like the St. Vincent, is still pretty damn good. I have no problem with Klinsmann continuing to use Pulisic as a sub for the moment though; starting an international game is a lot more pressure than subbing into one, plus playing as a sub helps to derail (just a bit) the hype train that could put too much pressure on him too soon.

The Curious Case of Sacha Kljestan
Could his return to MLS have been good for Sacha Kljestan? In previous appearances for the USMNT Kljestan had largely failed to stand out; in Belgium he was playing as a two-way midfielder, and int hat role he always looked adequate but unspectacular. In the past two years playing for NYRB however, Kljestan has morphed into a #10, a creative midfielder. Given the freedom to be where he wants (more or less) and play the game with more freedom, the 30 year old has taken to the role with gusto. One of the biggest things the USMNT has lacked are true creative presences, could Kljestan be just what they need for Russia 2018 despite his age? I'd like to see him in matches against more formidable foes first (and without the young phenom Pulisic), but it's possible he could be the offensive midfield creative presence we need for the next World Cup.

As a note, the USMNT has pretty much qualified for the next round of qualifying, the "Hexagonal" at this point. The US and Trinidad and Tobago play Tuesday for top of the group in Florida (assuming the hurricane(s) doesn't cancel it or force it to be moved), even if the USMNT lose Guatemala would need to overcome a differential difference of 12 to take the 2nd spot. As things stand right now, the other teams in the Hex would be Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama; only one of those may change, if Honduras loses to Mexico and Canada beats El Salvador and Canada can cover the goal differential deficit of 5, they're in instead of Honduras.

Hell of a great win by team USA over Trinidad and Tobago. 4-0, even against teams we're expected to beat, is still amazing. A few thoughts:

Altidore Is Still An Amazing Striker
Not just because he had a brace (and nearly a hat trick) against T&T; his movement was great, he was supplying great balls to other offensive players and he held up the ball superbly at times. The USMNT, with guys like Bobby Wood and Jordan Morris, may not necessarily "need" Altidore anymore, but he's still one of the best pure strikers we have. If Altidore can stay healthy, I think he'll easily surpass both Donovan and Dempsey on the all time high score list for team USA.

Pulisic is the Future
Christian Pulisic got his first start for team USA and he owned it fully, while he was a little tentative at first, once he got going he did great work, and should have had two goals (DAMN YOU POSTS!). If you're looking for the next big USMNT star, look no further; as long as he can stay healthy I think he'll do extremely well for team USA in the future.

We're Deeper Than Ever
For the first time in a long while...hell probably since I started watching team USA, it feels like we have some real depth. Stacks of midfielders (both offensive and defensive) and center backs (who in a pinch, are left or right backs) abound for team USA. Even the striker position has some real promise; if Dempsey and Altidore aren't available then Morris and Wood should be, and we shouldn't have to rely on aging strikers like Wondolowski. This isn't a world beating team, but this is a solidly region winning contender and maybe a team that can go far in the World Cup. There's still just under two years until the next World Cup, but fans should be excited for this team.

My thoughts from yesterday

1. Pulisic looked great. IMO he's earned the starting spot.

2. Altidore was amazing. What I love about Jozy in a 2 striker formation is he can go back and be a 10 really well. Honestly he was great. I can't say enough. HEalthy Jozy is still one of the best American players and IMO he shut out the Morris/Johannson/Wood/Dempsey debate.

3. Onto the Dempsey debate, does he start over Wood? IMO Wood should keep starting, but Dempsey is a legend. I don't envy Jurgen's choices coming up against MExico.

4. Birnbaum is a rock. BIrnbaum played great all day, despite he seemingly never has the same CB pairing, he has slotted in so well. He isn't as good as BRooks or Cameron, but for my money I'd take him as the 3rd off the bench.

5. Besler, Dempsey, and Jones were hurt the most by this result. Kljestan's start was great, he proves that you can have a different pairing with Bradley and it's still great. Dempsey being out the US lineup we scored 9 goals. Altidore answered any doubters questions. Wood was great. And that doesn't even factor in Johannson whne he's back, who may be the best US striker. Birnbaum and Gonzalez played really well. Besler being undersized is gonna hurt but he's helped by his LB performance at the Gold CUp.

Back