Finally pitched Brett..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
After a week or 2 or many question on this forum, emails, and PM's, I finally pitched some Brett B from White labs last night. I bottled half of my Saison and then racked the rest to 2 one gallon glass containers. At this point I pitched the Brett to both containers, trying to split it evenly, but one got more than the other. No starter, no oak chips, etc. and the FG of the beer was 1.009. I have an airlock on one and the other is just covered with sanitized foil. Grabbing another #6.5 drilled stopper today. Since there is so little headspace in the bottle should I expect to see a pellicle form at all? Rough Idea of how long I am looking at before I get any Brett characteristics? Probably not the best method, but still should prove to be an interesting experiment.

my experience w doing a post fermentation brett pitch is that if the gravity doesn't move much if at all, it will still exert some influence.

once nothing moves, i'd bottle it if you like it where it's at and it will continue to develop in the bottle (i'm sure you could bulk age it as well)... i've also never had a pellicle form on a post-fermentation brett pitch personally.

I leave them for about a year. The Brett will work very slowly. It may take 8 months for the Brett population to reach it's maximum.

I expect you will eventually get a pellicle. It may take months to form. I leave about an inch head-space in a gallon glass carboy, and usually get a pellicle.

I took the Sasion at 1.009 and bottled a case and split the other 2 gallons into separate 1 gallon containers and added brett b to each. One has an airlock and the other tinfoil, after about 2 weeks bot have small pecllicles forming. Pretty pumped, can not wait to see what will come of this, how long do you think I should wait to try a bit for brett character, is a month to soon?

Latest posts

Back