my dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewski08

Reaction score
getting ready to graduate at the end of april, and i just emptied my last fermenter into the keg.

my dilemma: i need to brew more beer, but i'll be moving at the end of april. i'll be driving 7 hours down to south florida. i simply can't load up a 3 week (assuming i brew this weekend) fermented beer in a carboy and drive it 7 hours. too much oxidation and splashing around during the trip.

i was thinking about cold crashing it a couple of days before i graduate, and then load it into the keg. burp the O2 out and pressurize with CO2. once i arrive in south florida, i'll simply put the keg at a desirable fermentation temperature and let it finish fermenting.

to make matters worse, my barley crusher arrives on monday. i don't know if i'm strong enough to resist the urge to brew!

Well, Any fermented beer in a carboy will have purged all of the oxygen from the head space of the vessel. So if you strap a carboy in your car and drive it around any splashing will just result in mixing of co2 into suspension.(well not really in reality a fermented beer is already saturated with co2 and would actually result in a more gas leaving suspension.) but i digress. just use a seat belt to strap it in and let your brew ride shot gun. Technically a carboy is giant vessel of beer and I would be more worried about your states laws about driving with an open container. But as for the safety of the beer it will be fine, I have moved fermenting beer in a carboy a few times with no ill effects.

Well, Any fermented beer in a carboy will have purged all of the oxygen from the head space of the vessel. So if you strap a carboy in your car and drive it around any splashing will just result in mixing of co2 into suspension.(well not really in reality a fermented beer is already saturated with co2 and would actually result in a more gas leaving suspension.) but i digress. just use a seat belt to strap it in and let your brew ride shot gun. Technically a carboy is giant vessel of beer and I would be more worried about your states laws about driving with an open container. But as for the safety of the beer it will be fine, I have moved fermenting beer in a carboy a few times with no ill effects.
+1. you will not be oxidizing your beer, since there is only CO2 in the carboy (assuming you use an airlock).

transfering to a keg & purging with CO2 would also work. consider the keg a secondary - so make sure primary fermentation is done before transferring to the keg.

great advice. thanks!

Back