Carboy Volume??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
HOw is this measured?

I aske because I have a 6.5 gallon carboy that can hold almost 7.5 gallons of water. And my 5 gallon carboy can only hold about 5.25 gallons of water. DOes this make any sense?

olllllo said:
Most people fill theirs up a quart at a time and mark the graduations on the side with a marker or a china marker or tape.

I have marked mine with a sharpie marker every gallon. I was more curious about how the manufacturer determines the what the capacity is.

I guess what im asking is why can a 6.5 gallon carboy hold more than 6.5 gallons?

I think the 6.5 gallon carboy holds 6.5 gallons at the curve. Same with the 5 gallon, etc. So, it would hold more if you count the top of the curve to the next.

I find the advertised volume of the carboy is usually to the shoulder ... As it starts to curve in to the neck. Maybe a little above or below.

I guess what im asking is why can a 6.5 gallon carboy hold more than 6.5 gallons?

same reason my shoe size is 10.5 for sneakers, but 11 for boots... manufacturer variations.

i have 6 gallon carboys that are 6 gallons up to the very top, and i have 5 gallon carboys that are 5.25 gallons up to the shoulder. just depends on where you measure from. everyone does it differently.

Latest posts

Back