cold crashing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendrixsrv630

Reaction score
i have read alot of posts about cold crashing but still have a few q's for you guys

1. should i transfer to my bottling bucket and then cold crash or just cold crash in primary and transfer after.
2. do i let the beer warm up before bottling? i read that priming sugar wont mix well when the beer is cold causing you to mix it up and adding risk.
3. how long should i cold crash...im gonna be using my fridge at home and dont really wanna take up that much space for more then a few days.

so this is my plan of action- im brewing a four peaks hop knot clone ipa

its been in primary for week now, might let her sit a few more days.
cold crash for two days. bottle and let condition for another 2 weeks.

get tipsy and enjoy life

I have been cold crashing the Primary for a few days and then to the Keg.

I say your plan should work just fine.

IIRC, from a BrewStrong pod cast... the temperature at which you cold crash is more important than the duration.

1 day at 30 degrees is more effective than 3 days at 36 degrees.

Your plan sounds fine, just take that into account.

IIRC, from a BrewStrong pod cast... the temperature at which you cold crash is more important than the duration.

1 day at 30 degrees is more effective than 3 days at 36 degrees.

Your plan sounds fine, just take that into account.

i have one of those fishtank thermometers should i just attach that to the side of my primary and turn the fridge down as cold as she goes?

Your brew has been in primary for only a week and you're prepping to bottle? I realize it's beyond the scope of your question, but that seems a bit rushed.

As for the question itself, most of the time I just cold crash for 24 hours and then keg/bottle as needed. As was stated above, more time doesn't necessarily mean better results.

1. crash in your fermenter, let the sediment settle out, and then rack clear beer to your bottling bucket.

2. boil a small amount of water with your bottling sugar -this will dissolve it fully. Put the hot sugar water solution into your bottling bucket first, and then rack your cold beer on top of it. The difference in temperature causes a differential in density, and the hot sugar water rises through the cold beer -very thoroughly mixing and dispersing the sugar throughout the solution. (Science!)

3. I've heard everything from a couple days to a week+ It really depends on your yeast and whatever else is in suspension in your beer -some settle out quickly, some slowly.

Back