Aging and bottling after force carbonating in keg in refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_BREWERY

Reaction score
After racking to my kegs i force carbonate and put into my kegerator, then from their i either leave it in keg and distribute form there or bottle using BM methods for bottling from kegs. my question is after refrigerating the beer in the keg and its all carbed up adn good to go, if i put it in a bottle cold, is it ok if i then bring it up to room temp for shipping or further aging, or should i keep it cold?

2.) would it be better to transfer to keg and carb at cellar temps and then bottle, thus alwasy keeping it at same temp? (only reason i was going cold was to make it faster carbing.)

i guess these questions boil down to temp variation on the beer.

thoughts?

I dont think you are going to really have much of an issue. The beer will age regardless of its temp, it will just happen at a slower pace when chilled. I have used this method and have seen no ill effects on my beer. (Just gets tastier the longer I let it sit)
-Me

Keep it cold as much as is possible, as long as its already conditioned properly. You definitely want it as cold as it will go when you're bottling it, to retain as much CO2 as you can.
Beer being kept warm at any point is only accelerating spoilage and/or aging. The swing back to warm from cold won't cause any additional negative effects besides that. so..

1. You should keep it cold after bottling if you can. But no big deal if not.

2. Don't bottle from the keg at cellar temps. You'll lose more CO2.

cheers!

You're wondering about carbonating beer quickly that you want to age?

I like to force carb in the fridge too. But if it is a beer that I know I'll want some bottles laying down for awhile, Then I clean and sanitize a few bottles when I'm racking to the keg usually at room temperature. After filling the keg, purge O2, and use coopers carb tabs, fill the bottles from the keg. Cap those and set aside to forget about awhile.

Then you can chill and force carbonate the rest of the batch. When the keg blows, you still have a stash.

thanks for the replies sounds like i should be fine,

MT pilot: i was just worried once the beer was cold i had to keep it cold to keep it good. i was worried if after bottling if i let the beer warm up it would make it crappy. i wanted to ship some bottle to my dad's place but unless i overnight (too expensive) i was worried the beer would skunk in a box on the shipping truck for regular ground shipping. sounds like thats not the case!!

I dont think you are going to really have much of an issue. The beer will age regardless of its temp, it will just happen at a slower pace when chilled. I have used this method and have seen no ill effects on my beer. (Just gets tastier the longer I let it sit)
-Me

Anyone else have any thoughts on the highlighted section above? So will a lower gravity ale continue to age in the keg in the fridge under pressure? Or should one use a longer secondary before kegging?

Back