Maintaining a vigorous boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I brewed up a special bitter yesterday. I extract brew outside with a propane burner. Very windy yesterday with gusts up to 50mph. I had a hard time maintaining a boil for the full 60min. It would slow or completely stop at times for a few minutes. Kept putting the lid on and off now worried about dms. Not sure if hops will get full utilization either. Has anyone had the same problem before? And how to your beer turn out ultimately ?

It's happened to me and my beer came out fine. I did wind up putting
A skirt around the burner and screwing it to the burner frame. It made an awesome wind block.

DMS burns off fairly readily after just a few minutes at a full boil. I'd say if you got a good 15-20 minutes of good rolling vigorous boil time, you're fine. Even so, unless your water is naturally high in sulfite, you should also be fine.

I just move things around to try and block some of the wind gusts. Folding table a few feet away always works like a charm. The real issue is making sure nothing gets blown in like a dirty leaf.

Latest posts

Back