potassium bicarbonate vs. potassium carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierSnob

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding potassium carbonate. I have seen Potassium bicarbonate at the LHBS. It apears that Potassium bicarbonate might react with water at 110 degrees to become potassium carbonate + co2 + h2o. Is this true? Can I use potassium bicarbonate in place of potassium carbonate.
If not where can I find potassium carbonate.

Figured I would ask some of the more experenced mead makers or chemists here. Also is there any dosage differences between the 2?

Thanks

Potassium bicarbonate works just fine. The difference is that the carbonate form is a more reactive, more caustic material and so fewer places carry it. The bicarbonate form is "safer" and so much more readily available. You don't need to heat it up either - just dissolve in some water before tossing it in. In an acidic environment, it will bind with free H+ and then form CO2 and H2O, leaving the potassium in solution which gets taken up by the yeast (they need it in an acidic environment).

The dosing is roughly equivalent.

Medsen

Thanks Medsen, I was afraid I would have to boil the water bicarb. mixture and let it cool before use. Now I know I don't have to.

Latest posts

Back