A quest for Great Sherry!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesflz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new here so I figured I'd dive right in!

I have been on a personal quest to make a good Sherry type/like wine since I got involved with making wine in '96. I have learn a lot about the unique way that Sherry is made and have made several attempts and I am now trying to craft a high quality Sherry, on the lines of a Bristol Cream or better. And intend to go to the extent of making a solera (neat and a lot of work) for the aging process. I have just started another attempt at it and would love some pointers and advice from anyone who had any success with Sherry.

Notable past attempts:

One attempt at a Sherry like wine I have tried a couple times with some success uses dried figs. My experiense is when I have used California figs my finished product resembled a Taylor golden sherry. Which to me it has a fig taste to it. Others don't taste it.

Using mission figs my finished product resembles a Taylor cream sherry and is quite good. However I am still looking to make a higher quality Sherry. But would recommend this to anyone who likes Taylor Cream Sherry. ALSO - with the mission figs I was able to do a second run which strangle finished with a stronge taste like overripe apples.

I just started a sample batch of a more authentic Sherry that uses parnsips.

If anyone has success in making Sherry style wine, please speak up.

James

On Horizon: Looking for ideas
Primary: Hard Lemonade clone
Primary: Blackberry Port
Secondary: Newcastle clone
Secondary: Sherry (parsnips base)
Secondary: Corn whiskey wine
Bulk/Bottling: Black seedless grape wine, Sherry (mission fig), Sherry (mision fig - 2nd run), Port

I work at a wine/vineyard research facilty, when we get an oxidized white wine we sometimes make sherry. Our best have been with vidal and chard wines. Oxidize the wine, fortify, oak, age. We are making the wines from grapes we grow ourselves, but you could use a kit wine. I wouldn't use anything but grape wine if you're looking to imitate real sherry, but I have no experience using fruits in conjunction with grapes to make sherry. I'm going to be trying to make something more like madeira soon. Basically its sherry that's been heated for lenthy periods of time in barrel. Wonderful stuff. I have a bottle from 1910, they age at a glacial pace and are amazing. I'll look into our process more, what specifically are you looking for with help?

Back