Stuck Tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdto1st

Reaction score
Hey all, so i made the Allagash Tripel from BYO clone issue. I followed everything like i should, and got an OG of 1.076. I left it to ferment with WLP500 at the high end of its temp range, just like it says to do. 3 weeks later and i am now sitting at 1.020. There is no more activity that i can see (sat staring at it for 10min, no movement at all) and i was hoping to get it to go a little further. Any advice?

Some of the belgian yeasts take their time crunching away at those last sugars. But they keep crunching. I don't think I'd worry yet. Wait a few more days and take a reading. 4 weeks in primary is not too long for a Tripel.

What temp are you fermenting at? Perhaps raise the temp up 5 or 10F and rouse the yeast. Then wait a week and see what happens to your SG.

What was the recipe? Did you hit your mash temperatures? 1.020 is high for a tripel but you might be done depending on the recipe and how you brewed it.

This is from "Brew Like a Monk"

" Let the fermentation finish,perhaps at a higher temperature. It may take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it did for the first 80%"

I brew a lot of Belgians and always give them plenty of time to finish.

Back