Sun/Light Spoilage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
So, just when I think I've started go get my act together I do something stupid. On Wednesday I move Beerific's Kolsch from primary to a secondary for a few days clearing before bottling. Its Saturday and I went to move the secondary to the back deck to take advantage of the cooler temperature. I found that I didn't cover the secondary. It was in the corner of my dining room, tucked between a hutch and a wall. No direct sun light but plenty of indirect light during the day. 2 1/2 days exposure.

I'm not worried about skunk beer - I'll drink it in in less than 6 months but I do want to know it it will affect the taste. Its the first time I've brewed the recipe and I hate to form a wrong opinion because of a technical mistake.

So, how rapidly does indirect light exposure have an impact on a secondary?

I did something similar my first few batches. While my beer is much better now due to improved knowledge, ingredients, and experience, I don't think the ambient light impacted the flavor at all.

I would say there are number of things to learn about making a great beer, including sanitization practices, minimizing of oxygen exposure, proper carbonation, etc. I built a cabinet for fermentation so now they are in the dark all the time. Before I had the cabinet, I used a towel and close pins.

Skunking is not progressive like oxidation. It's caused by the reaction of the bittering compounds with UV and happens very quickly. So, it has happened already or it won't. If you can't smell or taste any skunk, you got lucky.

What about the primary fermenter? It's in that white container. Do UV rays go through that, because I have been fermenting in my primary in my kitchen for the last 8 days. It doesn't get direct sunlight but it definitely gets ambient light during the day.

What about the primary fermenter? It's in that white container. Do UV rays go through that, because I have been fermenting in my primary in my kitchen for the last 8 days. It doesn't get direct sunlight but it definitely gets ambient light during the day.

I had a similar concern. I just took the box it came in, taped the top up (to make it taller for the airlock), and placed the box upside down over the fermenter. Stays nice and dark now. :mug:

All,

I bottled today. No skunk smell and the taste was as expected. So based on david_42's comment on skunking not being progressive the beer will be ok. I confirmed this by independent research as well. For anyone that wants more details, there is a live skunk exercise on youtube. The Sun/Hops reaction will take place very rapidly.

HIT_MAN: I would be interested in comments from the seniors on the board, but I don't think that harmful rays will pass through the bucket.

I normally wrap a towel around my carboys - just got careless this time. After watching the demonstration on youtube, I'll also do this while the carboy is on the counter settling. I usually like to let the jug settle on the counter for an hour or two before transferring to the bottling bucket. During the summer I think I could get some direct sun-light depending on the time of the day.

Latest posts

Back