Why is everyone only into IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patch62383

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 2 years and I am currently getting into brewing with other people hopefully starting a club. I love love love IPA's don't get me wrong but I am so tired of everyone only brewing and wanting to brew IPA's. I am venting I just think its good to try something different and brew other styles to get your skills and pallet expanded.

I have been brewing for about 2 years and I am currently getting into brewing with other people hopefully starting a club. I love love love IPA's don't get me wrong but I am so tired of everyone only brewing and wanting to brew IPA's. I am venting I just think its good to try something different and brew other styles to get your skills and pallet expanded.

Because they are hard to go afoul when 75% of the flavor come from one ingredient type. ;)

I reject your premise that everyone is only into IPAs. My friends and coworkers are into all types of beer. Maybe find some other people to brew/drink with?

I'm not into bitter or sour flavors. Don't like IPAs, doubt I'll ever brew one unless requested for someone else.

I just think people are missing out. I am glad you guys are on the same page as I am

YEAH! ONE OF THESE THRADDDDS!

Also, pallet:

new_wooden_pallets.jpg

The IPA craze is one of the steps I will be highlighting in my upcoming Masters Thesis paper and submission to HomeBrewTalks articles collection, "The steps of Beer Appreciation".

It is a pendulum swing...the Macro-beer drinkers get sick of the watery, fizzy, tasteless swill, and they discover a different kind of beer, usually a Sam Adams, sometimes a Hacker-Pschorr. I call these the "gateway-beers". This leads them on a journey, and often this journey takes them on the pendulum swing down the path of the IPA simply due to the hunger for massive flavor. Over time, their tastes evolve and they discover various Stouts, Porters, Barley wines, Imperial IPAS, Sours, Belgian Ales, and more as they mature through the appreciation of the cornucopia that is beer.

The IPA craze is one of the steps I will be highlighting in my upcoming Masters Thesis paper and submission to HomeBrewTalks articles collection, "The steps of Beer Appreciation".

It is a pendulum swing...the Macro-beer drinkers get sick of the watery, fizzy, tasteless swill, and they discover a different kind of beer, usually a Sam Adams, sometimes a Hacker-Pschorr. I call these the "gateway-beers". This leads them on a journey, and often this journey takes them on the pendulum swing down the path of the IPA simply due to the hunger for massive flavor. Over time, their tastes evolve and they discover various Stouts, Porters, Barley wines, Imperial IPAS, Sours, Belgian Ales, and more as they mature through the appreciation of the cornucopia that is beer.

And then that pendulum swings back the other way where sometimes you just want a macro and appreciate its flavor. Then back again to other beers.

IPA's are good. I'm brewing a batch right now. It has 5 different hops in it. That being said, there are several different types of beer you can try witho

LoL we'll I am currently fermenting an oatmeal stout I used a lot of black perle malts in. Oak aging two different pumpkin spiced beers one is actually bottled after 3.5 week of oak added that's was soaked in bourbon that's ones 7.8% it has pumpkin spices and ginger added to it. Than I have another beer that's a black IPA aging on dark oak that was soaked in Jager it has anise, cloves, allspice and cinnamon in it. So I guess my pellet is changing a lot after two years of brewing

IPA's are trendy like "panini" - Commercial brewers have started slapping the IPA label on just about any ale with pronounced hop character. Home brewers do the same so the term has been diluted to mean "hoppy ale".

As a result, SWMBO asked me if I could brew an IPA because she had one at her friend's house and liked it.:D

I have settled into a very repeatable, very good recipe and I am now on my fourth or fifth batch. I have been getting wiped out every time we have people over. Hopefully, after the Summer ends, I can brew Yooper's Oatmeal Stout but the IPA has become my "house" ale.

LoL we'll I am currently fermenting an oatmeal stout I used a lot of black perle malts in. Oak aging two different pumpkin spiced beers one is actually bottled after 3.5 week of oak added that's was soaked in bourbon that's ones 7.8% it has pumpkin spices and ginger added to it. Than I have another beer that's a black IPA aging on dark oak that was soaked in Jager it has anise, cloves, allspice and cinnamon in it. So I guess my pellet is changing a lot after two years of brewing

Did you type this on your phone by any chance?

it is really fun to brew ipas because you get to experiment with a ton of different hop flavors during the boil and your not just sitting around waiting for the boil to end

IPA's are the best beer so why would anyone want to drink a lesser beer? I don't understand.

Well,
I like to brew what other people like, I get great joy in sharing my homebrew. I like to brew often. Pale Ale and IPA are what they keep coming back for. I have some other simple stuff alternately on tap, Amber Ale, Red Ale and Stout for instance (all are very good, clean examples of their style), but they are for the most part slowing down the pipeline. I would love to begin learning to perfect a Saison and other more sophisticated beers, but fear that they will contribute to the congestion. My brewery has very limited capacity!!
And my wife and I really like IPA!!

I am not IPA fan but I have been brewing higher IBU beers that would fall in the lower end of the IPA range but they don't taste bitter. I think a lot of it has to do with hops are you using. I just started opening up a "New Zealand Ale" brewed with Pacific Gem and Nelson Sauvin hops and it has more a tropical fruit taste, very yummy.

it is really fun to brew ipas because you get to experiment with a ton of different hop flavors during the boil and your not just sitting around waiting for the boil to end

Wait, hops have different flavours? When I drink an IPA all I taste is being kicked in the face with hops. I can't tell the difference between one hop and another.

Which is mainly why I mostly brew stouts. Now, THERE'S a beer style I can use to live up to my own racial stereotype.

EDIT: I lied. I do remember tasting citrus hops in a beer I sampled on my latest trip to Ottawa.

I definitely drink my share of IPAs as I enjoy the hope flavor, the bite and the generally higher ABV. I also like porters, stouts and most anything that starts with imperial. Barelywines are quite fun as well as long as I don't have anything to get up to that evening.

Got a gift certificate for a brewing kit this year and the shop was great. The price included all the basics for a 5 gallon brewing setup as well as ingredients for whatever beer you wanted to try to brew. I showed up wearing a shirt from Russian River (Pliny) and the guy at the shop told me I could brew anything but that for my first go :)

I opted for a dry stout which is currently bottle conditioning and I'm glad I did as it appears to have forgiven some of my noob mistakes. I'm sure I'll try my hand at an IPA (or a double, or a triple) at some point, but I think I'm going to enjoy exploring lots of different styles before I settle on a house brew or any sort of consistent style.

-- Nathan

IPA's are the best beer so why would anyone want to drink a lesser beer? I don't understand.

Truth. DIPAs are better, but I think we can put those in the same boat for this thread.

Wait, hops have different flavours? When I drink an IPA all I taste is being kicked in the face with hops. I can't tell the difference between one hop and another.

Which is mainly why I mostly brew stouts. Now, THERE'S a beer style I can use to live up to my own racial stereotype.

EDIT: I lied. I do remember tasting citrus hops in a beer I sampled on my latest trip to Ottawa.

You need to drink moar IPAs, also... fresher IPAs. If you're drinking them at 2 months or so in the bottle, you're missing out on some good flavors that are extremely easy to pick out.

You need to drink moar IPAs, also... fresher IPAs. If you're drinking them at 2 months or so in the bottle, you're missing out on some good flavors that are extremely easy to pick out.

The citrus was tasted at a brewery, so I assume it was fairly fresh.

The rest were tasted from a combination of Store bought, brewery samples, and from an afternoon spent at Kombat's place. I assume his homebrews weren't that old.

The citrus was tasted at a brewery, so I assume it was fairly fresh.

The rest were tasted from a combination of Store bought, brewery samples, and from an afternoon spent at Kombat's place. I assume his homebrews weren't that old.

They weren't. And it's "Citra" hops, not citrus. The "cat piss" one. :)

Personally I love a great IPA, but I think with knowledge comes power. I study the BJCP style guidelines and learn to appreciate other styles of beers and judge them for what they are intended to be. It isn't fair to compare everything to an IPA

what's an ipa? i've never heard of it or seen a thread like this before...

... The "cat piss" one. :)

I do remember cat piss, but that was a few months ago, and now I can't remember which one I was referring to. I'll have to defer to your memory of that day. But I do remember saying, of the samples at that particular brewery, "I like it", which to me, means "I'll drink it".

The ones I really liked were the Dark Horse, the stout you had at home, and the chocolate stout that was at Big Rigs.

Back to the topic of IPA's, however. I did make one here at home, seeing as I felt I couldn't properly get an opinion of it until I had seen what went into making one. I still haven't emptied that keg, but I have pulled off a few samples of it. Quite the hoppy pumpkin flavour.

Hey I love IPA's and I love experimenting with different hops but man there is so much more to brewing than IPA's maybe I am just an odd duck I prefer to brew as much different stuff as I can

Whats with the pallets? I don't get it must be because I am slow

If you brewed more IPAs you would know. :D

I love IPAs. I spent years hating them. I dumped a fair share of what were probably amazing IPAs down the drain as well. I tend to brew for me and share with all. That means I like to have a pale, a stout, an IPA and then something random on tap.

I am okay if no one likes to brew what I like best. It doesn't even seem to bother me.

The awesome thing about IPA's that I like is that you don't need to make them so that they are enamel-strippingly bitter. If that is what you don't like about them, then either first wort hop them or have a small bittering addition and a huge late/dry hop. Also if you don't like the citrus or pine, choose a hop that doesn't have the characteristic that you don't like. There are so many variations(black, red, Belgian, west coast, east coast.....) and different ways to make them you should be able to find one that you like. The term IPA gets a bad rap from IPA haters because they aren't open to trying the different variations of the style. Not all IPA's are like Stone's Ruination.

Back