I'm a newbie at brewing. Should I make a mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Ok I've never had mead before...Whats it taste like?

How hard is it to make from what I'm reading it seems pretty difficult.

Now last question. The recipe I seen at the top calls for 14 pounds of honey! Honey is expensive... where can I buy it and how much would it cost for 14 pounds?!?

Now last question. The recipe I seen at the top calls for 14 pounds of honey! Honey is expensive... where can I buy it and how much would it cost for 14 pounds?!?

It tastes exactly like it sounds - honey wine. Depending on your final gravity, it's either dry, medium, or sweet.

It's easy to make - it just takes a LONG time to be drinkable - think years, rather than weeks (like beer)

Miller's Honey in California has some decent prices on honey. But shipping will be expensive.

Like Abbot mentioned, it would be good to start with a one gallon batch. That way you can see if mead making is for you. JOAM is a great beginner recipe and all the ingredients can be purchased at your local supermarket.

Recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/joes-ancient-orange-mead-joam-45152/

I made my first mead after my third batch of beer ever. I buy my honey from local apiaries and love to experiment with the different varieties (wildflower, blueberry, orange blossom, etc.).

Be very, very patient with the mead. At the 2 year mark, my first one was just starting to become exceptional. I wish I could have waited longer.

Back