Something tells me i am not responsible enough to have a kegerator...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Titles says it all. Its far to easy to keep pulling that magic liquid dispensing lever.

Yeah.. right there with you. I keg a batch, and brew another one the same day.. then I challenge myself to finish off the keg in two weeks or so that way I can keg the last batch I brewed and then I can brew again. I feel like I have stopped buying commercial beer and have been just chugging my homebrew. It's nice having money in the bank though.

My kegs are in the garage. I always find a reason to go out there. A little sip here and a little sip there. A little tipsy before you know it. I lack will power when it comes to the home brew.

Yeah.. right there with you. I keg a batch, and brew another one the same day.. then I challenge myself to finish off the keg in two weeks or so that way I can keg the last batch I brewed and then I can brew again. I feel like I have stopped buying commercial beer and have been just chugging my homebrew. It's nice having money in the bank though.
thats kinda the plan eventually. i really need to add another tap...

My kegs are in the garage. I always find a reason to go out there. A little sip here and a little sip there. A little tipsy before you know it. I lack will power when it comes to the home brew.

Pshh man you're telling me, when i first started i was polishing off an entire batch before it was even fully conditioned.

Mine is unplugged but has a full keg in it, maybe I'M not responsible enough, or worthy.

If you brewed it you are worthy. The fact that its unplugged shows some serious restraint. I wouldnt dream of unplugging mine :D

I was irresponsible, too much beer being brewed and had to drink it all in a hurry to get the keg empty in time, not to mention testing to check carbonation levels.

Now i have just ordered another 2 kegs to help me be responsible.

It's the sampling that's the problem. Wanting to try it today, and tomorrow, and the next day. It adds up, man.

Pro tip: Try brewing the same recipes for consistency's sake. Eventually, you won't be tempted to sample because you'll know what they taste like and you won't think about it any more.

I enjoy my kegs because I can pour a glass of cold, fresh beer any time I want.

And I enjoy it because I can pour a HALF glass of cold, fresh beer when I want as well. Sometimes that's great if I'm going to be heading off somewhere and just want a bit of beer to wash down a snack, or if it's close to bedtime and I don't want to fill up on beer right before bed.

I bought pitchers to keep from pulling the tap handle every 10 minutes--I ain't never had a corny keg last two weeks sometimes they don't last two days in this neighborhood--there have been more than a few times they didn't last 12 hrs. SWMBO really goes off when that happens--then there ain't a safe place to hide------

If you brewed it you are worthy. The fact that its unplugged shows some serious restraint. I wouldnt dream of unplugging mine :D

Had to be defrosted, and I seriously have just been too lazy to plug it in back in. I work 2 weeks on and 1 week off, my on weeks are 100+ hours, I usually can't get everything I want done in 7 days off either. I did brew this time though.

I too am way too irresponsible for kergerator ownership, but in true foolhardy fashion, I bought one anyway. I have a two-tap system and five kegs to feed it. I thought that I would be drinking more. In reality though, I find that I actually drink the same or less.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're a habitual drinker you'll drink the same amount whether from a bottle or a tap.

I tried going to smaller glasses once, just ended up making more trips to the fridge.

Those were my thoughts when i first started pouring, and it sure did lead to more trips, but even then thats not much of a hassle being that my kegerator is in my living room right next to the tv, im like three steps from my couch to the tap.....

I was irresponsible, too much beer being brewed and had to drink it all in a hurry to get the keg empty in time, not to mention testing to check carbonation levels.

Now i have just ordered another 2 kegs to help me be responsible.

Maybe thats what i need more kegs hmmmm

Brew Stronger beer 8% beer last longer! At least it used to!:D

Haha that could possibly help. Thias beer is pretty low abv below 5% major efficiency issues still tastes great tho. Being able to walk a straight line pint fill after pint fill is pretty encouraging :D

I bottle in 12 ouncers, but measure in Imperial pints. Wifey asks how many I've had, and the answer is almost always 3.

I just started brewing last November and only get to brew about once a month. I have been trying to create a pipeline and it has been one of the most difficult things to do. My solution to not drink to much is to not keep it cold. I throw 12 in at a time and try and stretch it out as long as I can. at some point soon I will build a kegerator and rethink my plan

I just started brewing last November and only get to brew about once a month. I have been trying to create a pipeline and it has been one of the most difficult things to do. My solution to not drink to much is to not keep it cold. I throw 12 in at a time and try and stretch it out as long as I can. at some point soon I will build a kegerator and rethink my plan

I would just drink store bought beer for a couple of weeks, I would check the craft beer section and find some new to me beers to try out. This will help fatten the pipeline some and find some way to sneak in a extra brew session. :mug:

I've taken to keeping a keg of carbonated Tang in there for the times when I do find I have some self control. When I open the fridge and see that picnic tap sitting there I'll grab that when I'm feeling strong.
When I'm weak I'll just tap a session IPA through the wall instead and still not feel too bad about myself.
My problem isn't the keg, it's the bottles. Those 11%+ Imperial Stouts from 2013 are hard to resist.

I went to a 23 oz glass. That way, you're only having two or three a night.

attachment.php

Kegs keep kicking in like 2 weeks though, not sure what's going on there.

You need a raspberry pints type system with an add-on that locks you out unless you can pass a simple hand-eye coordination test before pouring.

In UK pubs, this test consists of walking to the bar, remaining standing long enough to be served and then handing over cash or typing your PIN for the debit card, before making it back to your seat with a brimful pint glass.

I've gotten to the point where I try not to drink during the week unless I've had a really tough day. I also have two taps going at a time so I too try to alternate between the two to ensure I'm not drinking too much too fast.

I went to a 23 oz glass. That way, you're only having two or three a night.

attachment.php

Kegs keep kicking in like 2 weeks though, not sure what's going on there.

Is that your famous green-apple fusel burn overly-sweet, dry Irish Stout?

Or perhaps your Cream Ale in a slightly unwashed glass.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're a habitual drinker you'll drink the same amount whether from a bottle or a tap.

I've thought about this a fair amount and have come to the same conclusion. It's all about discipline and self control when it comes right down to it. Kegging does make it easier to keep going back for that half pint or top up pour though. And before you know, you're a little toasted.

Is that your famous green-apple fusel burn overly-sweet, dry Irish Stout?

Or perhaps your Cream Ale in a slightly unwashed glass.

Ba haaaaa.

No, that's the mild in the "way too huge of a glass so the color just looks black, but is actually a beautiful dark amber/brown (bramber?)."

And if you don't be careful, I'll send you one of those failed Irish stouts and label it like... Chocolate Vanilla Stout or something.

I am very envious of people who have kegerators at home. I bought the mini fridge to build one, but ended up using it more for fermenting. Now it stores refillable water bottles for the GF.

I honestly think that if I had it set up, I'd probably polish off a keg in a week, and it'd sit empty until the next batch is ready. I don't brew often, so it'd probably spend most of its time empty.

I also find keeping my beers warm helps to control me. Otherwise I end up drinking like a fish all week. Well, I do that anyway. I end up buying a lot of store bought beer because I'm "saving" my homebrew for special events, like weekends.

I usually just pour a half glass so its always cold as possible. 0.5, you arguably can round that down if you want. So I drink 0 beers in a night

+2, one for more beer math, the other for actually liking cold beer, as any sane person would! Might be a southern thing, not sure where your at in KY though some of those places close to Cincinnati feel "not southern" to me.

I would just drink store bought beer for a couple of weeks, I would check the craft beer section and find some new to me beers to try out. This will help fatten the pipeline some and find some way to sneak in a extra brew session. :mug:

Oh I definitely do this. But like others have said I just want to keep sampling to see how it changes and gets better over time. I definitely do need to try and sneak in an extra brew day though.

Those were my thoughts when i first started pouring, and it sure did lead to more trips, but even then thats not much of a hassle being that my kegerator is in my living room right next to the tv, im like three steps from my couch to the tap.....

Three steps? You don't need to make trips. Just a picnic tap with a long line right to the couch.
Now that's living.

does anyone else find themselves getting really fckng fat from drinking 1000+ calories worth of beer every single day?

my pipeline can hold 55 gallons (7 kegs and 4 fermenters). i never run out of beer or have less than 3 options.

Three steps? You don't need to make trips. Just a picnic tap with a long line right to the couch.
Now that's living.

I may or may not have, emphasis on the "may", moved the entire kegerator between me and my cousin on the couch while my wife was out with the girls one night.

Back