Has the inside of of your mouth peeled after drinking a lot of IPA for a while?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
About two weeks ago, I started drinking a batch of 80 IBU IPA that a kegged a while back. I probably drink a couple of pints a day. About a week ago, the inside of my mouth started peeling. I didn't really think that it could be the IPA at first, but now I'm begining to wonder. I must say, I stopped using a new toothpaste that I believe was the cause of my cheeks/mouth in general peeling and it's gone away, but I've also quit drinking so dang much of that IPA as well.

What do yall think?

J

I think you should stop stickin' your IPA in the microwave and start stickin' 'em in the cooler! :D

You need to be scientific about this! Change a variable and look for a response.

Since ceasing consumption of said IPA is obviously out of the question, my suggestion is you double your daily intake.

If your mouth peeling doesn't change, then you know it's not the IPA.

If your mouth peeling worsens....you'll probably be so bombed every night you won't give a hoot :drunk:.

Either way, problem solved.

Yeah, I didn't think it was the IPA, but I figured if anyone else has had that problem, it would be here. It has stopped quite a bit since I changed my toothpaste and layed off the listerine.

Thanks,
J

Do you smoke? I had that happen to the roof of my mouth a few times after night of heavy beer drinking and chain smoking.

Are you still drinking and perhaps your mouth isn't really peeling? Acid trip? Just suggestions.....

If while drinking lots of the IPA you get wasted and eat pizza that is hotter than the sun it may cause your mouth to peel indirectly of course.

Listerine might be the culprit. I get mouth sores if I use that stuff a few days in a row. If you absolutely have to use it, cut it in half with water.

To set the record straight,

I'm not chewing on rocks.
I'm not eating inferno pizza.
I'm not on acid.
I don't smoke.
and
Shooter, no, I don't think your mouth peeling is normal.

SWMBO googled it and a lot of people complain that toothpaste and listerine can do a kind of chemical peel to the inside of your mouth. I should have never blamed beer.

So from me to beer,
Sorry

Saw this thread late. . .definitely the Listerine. That stuff = bad mojo, my dentist agrees. I don't go near it.

Back