Irish Extra Stout Midnight in Dublin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuercusMax

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002
Yeast Starter
Slurry from previous batch (about a cup of thick slurry)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Very dark
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 68-ish
Tasting Notes
Best stout I\\'ve ever made. A very stout-y stout. Will re-brew.
Grain bill:
7.5lb 2-row
2.6lb flaked barley (500L - this is important)
1.75 MO (Muntons - the last I had from my 55lb sack)
1lb Roasted Barley (ground to a powder in my blender)
8oz carabrown malt
4oz special roast
4oz Black Patent

Hops:
2oz EKG 6.2%

Water treatment:
1.5 grams Gypsum in mash

This is by far the best stout I've ever made. I've made a number of Dry Stouts in the past with a 70-20-10 or 65-25-10 ratio of 2-row/Flaked Barley/Roasted Barley. The ones with 300L Roasted Barley were not nearly as good as the 500L. A few years back I picked up a six-pack of Guinness Extra, and I remember thinking "this is what Guinness should taste like", and I did some research and determined it's considered an Export stout. So I decided to make a stepped-up version of a Dry Stout, with some black patent to add an extra roasted component, since I have really enjoyed that in some recent stouts I made.

A few of the ingredients (the MO and the Carabrown) were some malts I had lying around - in the future I'd probably to 50-50 2-row/Maris Otter or just straight MO, maybe with some Victory.

The WLP002 was a last-minute decision. I've mostly used US-05 for my stouts in the past, and I had some fresh slurry lying around. It was a great decision - the slight fruity esters really contribute to the complexity. It is very full-bodied, and overall very smooth. Even though it finished at 1.016, it's not sweet, and the mineraliness from the gypsum works nicely with the hops and roasted malt.

So New Belgium has redeemed itself somewhat in my eyes. I just had a bomber of their Belgian Tripel tonight, and it was quite nice. Pretty decent.

Last week I had some Fat Tire on tap, and while it is possibly one of the most boring craft brews I have ever had, I did not find anything objectionable about it. It's not bad, just not really my thing. One of those beers where I don't really have anything bad to say about it, but I don't really have anything good to say about it either. I certainly wouldn't turn one down if I was offered it, however.

Back