Craziest thing you have put in a mash or boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tre9er said:
What about racking under the oil layer? Or how would you skim it off? Decant? Also, what temp and how long to tincture?

You could do that too but breaking the oil layer to get under is hard.. its the same as making infused vodka so about a week at room temp is fine.. oh, a syringe works ok but I've used a thimble sized scoop for different tinctures.

One more step!! From there you tincture it with grain alcohol and the oil will separate to the top where you skim it off :mug:

One problem is that I'm not sure if after you take all the oils out you are going to taste bacon?

Either way, I've got one buddy that says he's up to the 3 hour drive to Portland to try some bacon and maple beer at the Rogue brewery and pub!
If we make it there and it's good it might be just the inspiration that I need to try it.

Hmm.... what about chilling it down to 35° or so ( prior to yeast pitching ) in a stainless kettle and trying to skim the grease and oil off the top?

Then use the siphon and pull from the bottom to avoid the oils when you rack it. Might need to brew a 6.5 gallon batch so that after avoiding the oils you can still put 5.5 in the primary.

A copy of the Complete Joy of Homebrewing, didn´t do it on purpouse it fell from my hand to the kettle.

I dare you guys beat that.

45_70sharps said:
Hmm.... what about chilling it down to 35° or so ( prior to yeast pitching ) in a stainless kettle and trying to skim the grease and oil off the top?

That's genus for tinctures.. might try that for a couple I have planned..

How about a pair of panties from a stripper on the Vegas strip? Put em in a bowl of "Air Defence Punch" at a dining out for NCO's in Wurtzburg Germany june of 1988. 27 good soldiers went to the brig that night for various "crimes". We all got out in the morning after the effects of the "Punch" had time to wear off and we were legal to drive. It was a great party, never went to one quite that good again, even after I returned from DS1 and 2 or as a civilian contractor later on...
Wheelchair Bob

I wonder if one used a coagulant like fermcap-s if the bacon idea would work without too many oils making their way into the final glass thus affecting head retention? There has to be a way to get the actual bacon flavor from the meat without all of the oil. Perhaps extra crispy bacon, dried?

I had zero issue with oil. Baked the bacon to extra crispy, liberally squeezed it with paper towels, and dry porked.

I don't think it requires anything special. There's a ton of oil extracted in hoppier beers but it doesn't seem to cause problems.

Yeah, I did coconut once and it was oily as hell at room temps. Kegged and the oil solidified and perfect head coconut porter. I'm sure bacon fat would congeal at serving temps too

Best way I've heard for Bacon is to infuse bacon grease into vodka, Tape a straw sticking out of the top of the bottle, and freeze the bottle. The grease will separate and harden at the top and then you remove the straw to have a perfect hole to pour the vodka back out of. Enjoy.

Best way I've heard for Bacon is to infuse bacon grease into vodka, Tape a straw sticking out of the top of the bottle, and freeze the bottle. The grease will separate and harden at the top and then you remove the straw to have a perfect hole to pour the vodka back out of. Enjoy.

That's pure genius! You could also turn it upside down and puncture the bottle if it's plastic.

Or just freeze it upside down, so the bacon is at the bottom.

Smartest one yet. What kind of style would go best with bacon, do you think? Smoked Porter? I have some smoked malts (Rauch and cherry) and have been thinking of a winter porter, probably a small batch.

Back