looking for some recipe input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
i'm looking to make an orange coriander wheat type ale.

gist is looking like:
5 lbs american 2-row
5 lbs white wheat
1/2 lbs carawheat
1/2 lbs honey malt

feedback on gist would be great.

Should I do a protein rest and at what temp?

Then mash at 152 for 60 minutes

boil schedule
1/2 oz hallertau at 60 min
1 oz sweet orange peel at 15 min
1/2 oz hallertau at 10 min
1 oz coriander seed at 5 min

any feedback is appreciated.

Looks good to me. You don't really need a protein rest though. Most malts these days are modified enough to not need a protein rest.

great. thanks guys i had some other people say the same thing.

saw in another thread that someone had a great success with using fresh oranges in their beer. i was thinking about maybe taking out the orange peel and just using the fresh fruit.

i saw that someone zested two oranges and juiced them and put in at 15 left in the boil and i also saw someone who just peeled the oranges and put them in the secondary.

can anyone maybe suggest the best way to use fresh oranges? well maybe not the best way but the way they did it and how it turned out.

FWIW for my last brew I mashed 50% malted wheat and 50% 2-row. I only hit 57% efficiency (normally I am around 72%). Iodine test confirmed complete conversion, so my thoughts (after consultation with the good folks here at HBT) are that I had some channelization during lautering and/or a poor crush on the wheat malt. So, next time I do a 50/50 recipe like this I am going to use some rice hulls and have my LHBS crush the wheat twice (or adjust the mill). Just something to consider.

FWIW for my last brew I mashed 50% malted wheat and 50% 2-row. I only hit 57% efficiency (normally I am around 72%). Iodine test confirmed complete conversion, so my thoughts (after consultation with the good folks here at HBT) are that I had some channelization during lautering and/or a poor crush on the wheat malt. So, next time I do a 50/50 recipe like this I am going to use some rice hulls and have my LHBS crush the wheat twice (or adjust the mill). Just something to consider.

+1, a 1/2-1lb of rice hulls are a good idea. I've never done a wheat beer without them, but stuck sparges aren't fun, so I'd throw them in.

Back